Sign in to follow this  
Jibby

Warm/cold booting woes

Boy am I having a great time. I just got my RMA'd x850xtpe back tuesday and I installed it and my computer booted up with no problems. About 2 hours ago, I was opening steam and my computer was glitching everywhere. It was like I turned prime 95 on and turned it to realtime. The mouse cursor was disappearing and my teammates on ventrilo were cutting in and out. I shut down my computer. I go to turn it back on and low and behold I hit the power button to turn it back on and nothing comes up on the screen . I opened the case and 3 diagnostic LED's are lit. I think thats my ram. I tried both sticks separately to no avail. I tried clearing cmos except I've never removed the CMOS battery and don't really know how so I just moved the jumper over. Problem solvers start your engines!

I figured I should add this in. I had this problem a while back and I RMA'd my gfx card because my screen fked up and so I thought my gfx card died. I had solved this problem in the past by waiting overnight and the next morning my computer would turn back on.

It is the next morning for me and my computer boots up fine. This is still a problem however because everytime i need to shut my computer down, I can't wait around 8 hours for it to fix itself. All I do is power everything off, unplug the power cable, and sleep for 8-9 hrs and its fixed.

hehe...ditto on that problem..after doin a little bit of testing..i found that if i lower the Trfc under 14 Bus Clocks..i get the same result...i reboot..and it sticks at the black screen..reset the cmos...and it sticks at the Lanparty Logo Screen...but if i unplug for 15 to 30 minutes..i can boot again...course im running at 270FSB..so..may be a different story all together...but..I have the same mem w/ same timings...So play around with the Trfc and a few others like Max Async, Read Preamble, and others..and see where that gets you.

Its not the cold boot issue that other people are having because it won't boot even if I leave the power supply on and the motherboard retains power. All I can do is restart the computer.

hmm..save your current bios settings into one of the banks 1-4 (mainly for reference)....after that..enter you Dram Config, and press F7 for optimized defaults (or wutever they wanna call it..ie Stock settings)...which will set all settings and timings to auto..then work from there...im just giving examples as to what i did to resolve my random crashes and timing issues...after i had set everything to defaults with F7..i then rebooted...tested...made sure everything is working ok...then..went back to the bios..and one by one started to change each timing to what i wanted....when i say one by one i mean, change one setting, reboot, test : change another, reboot, test: etc....Its very tedious i know..but i was fed up with trying to hunt down the cause of the problem..so i resorted to trial and error....in your case..your CPC, Tcl, Trcd, Tras, and Trp seem reasonable...so you should be able to leave those the same...just F7 , reboot and test..if testing fails on stock settings, then you may have some bad ram...if testing goes well then boot back to the bios...change those timings to 1T-2-2-2-6..save reboot, test...and from there start testing the other timings one by one....hope this helps.

Thanks for helping prophecy but your dead wrong and I mean that in a good way because I thought the same thing as you. Turns out either the PSU is bad or the motherboard because I left my computer running [email protected] and I was walking by the basement and I didn't hear my 65DBA fan running. I run downstairs and find that I can't even get the lights to turn on and my rails are reading 0 :confused: . I guess now I need to find out if its my PSU or mobo. Any ideas how?

The trick to getting my computer to boot was waiting 4+ hours and then attempting to power it on. This leads me to believe that its a PSU issue because the PSU is the only piece of hardware that I can think of that would change something internally after 4 hours. (capacitors draining or something).

PCP&C is crossshipping my new power supply as we speak. Glad I got this resolved and thanks for your help prophecy <3

np....just suprised that that quality psu could be the culprit...but..i guess with anything, theres always a bad batch....hope it solves the problem.

I've never heard of a killer mobo as a possibility but I just had 2 friend and we all used the 4v jumper with mushkin redlines and our PSU's all tanked after 2 months of use. We used 3 diff brands. Seasonic, OCZ, and PCpowerandcooling. We are all RMAing them currently and we requested to know what died on the PSU to see if all 3 of our problems matched.

*edit* I also noticed others on these forums having their PSU's die on them with the DFI mobo.