AMD X2 4400 SLI-DR, OCing

toxikneedle

I'm gonna OC my brand new X2 4400 today. I wanna try to do 230x11. I looked at Genie BIOS and it has quite a bit of different options for OCing. In order that I don't miss anything, can someone tell me all the exact options I want to change?

Also, can someone suggest what would probably be the best options for me to try? SHould I raise vcore to 1.4? Do I have to worry about anything like PCI/AGP Lock? Do I have to set the HTT to x4 instead of x5 so it doesnt go over 1,000?

Okie, I OCed the system to 2.5 (230x11) and I had to set the vcore to 1.55 in the Genie BIOS settings. Now, I wanna know how safe is it to hold and AMD X2 4400 at 1.55v, since it's stock voltage is 1.3 going to 1.55 is a big stretch. As far as my temps, they only rose about 3C degrees on average.

1.55 volts is fine. In fact many overclockers end up with their CPU voltage in the 1.5 to 1.6 range. The people with more extreme cooling go higher (and some of the liquid coolers though this isn't exactly extreme cooling).

Are you following the strategy of underclocking your RAM while you determine the max stable overclock of the CPU? Are you testing for stability of your CPU overclock by running Prime95, etc?

I think the toughest part really is to find the ram timing / bandwidth that makes you happy. but if you are using 11 multi, it probably wont' go over 250FSB. So that is not a problem. and you should try CAS 2.5 since most people were able to do taht with < 250 FSB.

It takes a lot of time to find what works for your rig and what doesn't. Every rig is different so you can only use other ppl's settings as a guideline.

Okie here are my end results. With the system on 230x11 and using 1.47v I was able to run 2 instances of prime (1 on each core) for 9 hours with no errors.

I tried 240x11 and couldn't get it stable unless I used 1.6v which raised my temps quite a bit.... so I decided to stick with 230x11 whcih would gimme 2.5ghz on each core. My original goal was to reach 4800 speeds with a 4400 so... I'm happy :)

typer77, I tried 2.5,3,3,6 and got couple of errors in memtest. I also got BSOD while loading a level in fear. So I changed the timings to 3-3-3-6... which is still better than the original 3-4-4-8.

do dfi boards overvolt what it says in windows?

my bios will say 1.6V yet cpu-z, smartguardian etc says 1.54V wtf?

DOn't trust software to tell you your voltages. If you are worried about your voltages measure them with a DMM?