Sign in to follow this  
mikester

New build won't power up

I am building a new machine based on the parts in my signature. I followed the "Initial Build" guide here to a T and did a barebones build outside of the case - processor, HSF (XP120 + Antec fan), 1 stick of memory, video card, keyboard. The board POSTed and I was able to get into the BIOS. Next I moved everything into the case, and that's when the problems began.

When installed in the case and with the power supply on, the standby and memory LEDs were lit. When I powered on the board, the debug LEDs flashed very quickly one after the other, then it shut down. Then nothing would happen when I pushed the power button, until I turned off the power supply and turned it back on. Then the same sequence of flashing debug LEDs (one after the other) and shutdown. This whole process was repeated 3-4 times, then nothing would happen at all - power to the board resulted in no activity on the debug LEDs (standby and memory LEDs were still lit, however).

Next I took the board back out of the case and setup the barebones system again. Same result as in the case - no activity on the debug LEDs, but the standy and memory LEDs are lit. Suspecting the Seasonic power supply, I hooked up the Antec 450w power supply from my other system - same results.

So at this point, I thought maybe the board was fried. I went up to Fry's yesterday and picked up another board. Unfortunately they were out of LP Ultra-D's, so I picked up an Abit KN8 to test with. I did a barebones build with the KN8 outside of the case, and I have similar results with it - the system starts to power up (fans start spinning, etc.) and after about half a second it just shuts down. Again I tried this with both power supplies and the result was the same. I also tried swapping memory between the new build and a running system, and the memory works in both systems, so it's not a memory issue.

So at this point, I think I'm pretty much down to either the video card or the CPU. Unfortunately, I don't have a spare of either to test with, so I'm kind of stuck trying to figure out what to RMA.

Can a bad video card even cause the kind of problems I described here? If so, I could run out and pick up a cheap video card to test with, but if that isn't even a possible cause then I won't bother. My gut feeling is that it's the processor, but I wanted to get some input from you guys before RMAing it. I did inspect the processor when I switched boards, and there is no visible sign of damage (bent pins, burn marks, etc.).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm experiencing the identical issue. Momentary i get the four red leds..then nothing. The two yellow leds, dram power and standby power, are continually lit. I must remove power from the psu then re-apply power to get things back to a null state. Same results time and again.

@Davems72

If you get the indications as described you have a power supply issue. There is nothing you can do but replace the PSU with a quality unit.

@mikester

Seasonic has a known issue. Search the forum for a multitude of threads.

OK, now this is getting frustrating.

I picked up an OCZ Powerstream 520 and a new CPU. Neither of them work. The board doesn't even try to power up. I mean, the debug lights don't even try to come on, neither do the lights on back of the power supply, and the power supply fan doesn't run. It's like the board isn't even trying to start. I tried the power button on the board as well as shorting the pins for the power switch - nothing.

Any ideas? I let the CMOS clear for over an hour. I can leave it for 8 hours, but I don't see how that would cause it to not even try to power up.

I dont know if it will help you or not, but I unplugged the power to my video card and teh system started no problem. Mine deffinately is a power issue. Or lack there-of.

OK, I got the motherboard replaced. The old one was definitely fried. I found a small piece of metal about the size of a staple jammed between one of the PCI slots and the motherboard - that must have shorted it out.

Now with the new motherboard, when I startup all 4 debug LEDs come on for a second, then the machine shuts off. I assume that means the processor got fried too? The only other thing I can think of is that I need to flash the BIOS to recognize an X2 processor, but I would think I would be able to boot and just have one core recognized, correct?