Why use Lian-Li?

Nero.Jacinth

taste is a personal thing

I personally hate those ugly-butt cases with a zillion bits of cheap plastic and Gugenheim-style crap with curves and other ugly junk. I think they look cheap, tawdry, gaudy, and like you could buy them with food stamps. That's just my opinion.

Lian Li's are wide, with plenty of room inside for wire management, and they normally are superior for airflow in their design, as well as the ability to modify them for more airflow etc. Their quality of construction and design are why they are considered Premium cases.

And

the important thing you are missing

PC Chips made AthlonXP socketA motherboards

Asus made A7V AthlonXP socketA motherboards

to try and say that they were in the same league in design, quality, and performance...is laughable at best (tragic at worst). They both carried KT chipsets, and they both had pretty much the same features...but my A7V was $189 brand new, and at that time the PC Chips board was $59. There was such a huge difference between those two boards that it was easy to make the choice to the A7V.

and the funny thing was...the A7V was really plain-jane looking vanilla board (it is still kicking today down in Twin Falls in my buddy's mother's computer that she uses for work at the State Housing Authority)

while the PC Chips had cool colors and chip sinks etc...yet in the time that my A7V has been alive, I must have seen about 150+ of those cheap PC Chips boards die or be defective.

but...people still bought the PC Chips because they were cheaper in price, and they 'looked' cool (to them I suppose).

for me...I know when I buy or put my hands on a LianLi...I know I am getting top quality without any garish, gaudy cheap plastic, steel, pseudo-aluminum, or even real aluminum that is imperfect in it's construction (how many cheap cases have you nearly cut your freakin fingers off while fooling around inside? Lian Li's are all nice, smooth, round edges, and you can feel the quality)

take my Skyhawk case that is a LianLi PC60 clone...it also is all aluminum, and looks just like a PC60 LianLi.

but when you compare them side by side, and start building a machine in them...you can instantly notice the difference. The LianLi, while light, feels solid, sturdy, and has no sharp edges in it.

The Skyhawk, while looking the same, does not feel sturdy like the LL does, it has plenty of sharp edges, and you can see and feel the 'shortcuts' that Skyhawk took when 'cloning' the LL design. It is still a great case, and I only paid $39 for 3 of them, and it is just as light as the LL...but they just are not the same.

Take a real Shelby 427 Cobra...they are about $250,000 worth of car, with all genuine, real Shelby/Ford parts and construction

then put it next to a 'kit' 427 Cobra...that costs about $35,000-$75,000....they look the same...but they are so different in quality that you couldn't possibly imagine yourself in a 'kit' replica after being inside a real Shelby 427...

but again...taste in cases is all up the individual. Some guys like cheap and tawdry cases that look like welfare construction jobs with all their alien type plastic that breaks off easily or doesn't match up edges quite perfectly the first time or the second time you pull the panels off.

Some guys like the real industrial cases that look so generic and plain that you figure they probably have never had an ounce of excitement in their lives to like such a thing

people are people, and people have vastly different tastes between them.

until you truly have used or owned a Lian Li, you don't really know what they are about, or why they are touted as the best cases.

i know that sounds cliche, but it is true. How true? When I first joined up at AMDMB.com forums, about the time I got my first DFI Lanparty KT400A and started working for DFI, most of the hardcore guys were in one of two camps...the Thermaltake Xaser camp, or the Lian Li camp.

Both of these styles of case were way out of my price range, but I liked both, but could not figure out what was so damn special about them (especially the plain looking LL case...the Xasers I could see just from the looks why they were popular).

Everyone kept telling me over and over...you can't really know until you own one...then you will know.

I thought, honestly, that they were full of . fanboys that spooged all over themselves every time they rubbed up against their stupid Lian Li cases.

Until I bought one...and I knew instantly after touching it, pulling it apart etc, why they were touted as the best...and I've used a LOT of cases in my life...from the plain beige/white ones, to the ugly-butt alienware crap with plastic junk all over it that made it look like alien heads, insect heads, demon heads, whatever.

My favorite cases are as follows:

CM Stacker - biggest damn case (other than old Micron AT server towers!) I've owned...and its simply the best in terms of airflow ability...plus it has enough room for two separate water loops lol

Lian Li - If CPU KILLER hadn't turned me on to the Stacker for watercooling...I would have purchased more Lian Li cases because they are truly the best...as long as you don't want complex watercooling setups lol. These cases roomy on the inside because they are wider than typical cases, as well as (depending on the model) a bit taller...but not CM Stacker tall (which is just as wide also)

Chieftech Dragon - man I love these...all aluminum, lots of colors, and the design is great, plus it is nice and tall (but still narrow like normal cases). Plenty of airflow...but no 120mm ports for watercooling. momma's case is blue Dragon, and with a Fortron Bluestorm psu, and XP-90, it is so quiet that it is like a Lexus....a Lexus has a little light on the dashboard that tells you when your engine is running because typically you cannot hear the engine, nor feel the vibration...so the light shines to let you know not to try and turn the key again lol...her case is the same...I have to keep looking at the front of the case to see if the power LED is lit because I cannot tell if it is on half the time it is so quiet ;)

Aspire X-Infinity - I dig these cheap little cases as they mod decently, are inexpensive, and are not garish and gaudy (tho some models are extremely tawdry and cheap plastic coverings). Not much room in them, but great for simple aircooled setups ;)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a Lian-Li PC-65b for about 3 years. I've done a lot of small mods to it, such as replacing the stock ADDA fans with Panaflo "M" models, adding a black Sunbeam rheobus with black aluminum knobs, adding a Bulgin "vandal" power switch, and "stealthing" a Yamaha CD burner in it.

I stopped using it when 120MM fans came into vogue, but I miss it, and have been considering moving my 250Gb into it again. I dearly love the performance of my LX-6A19's, but they don't hold a candle to the classic Lian-Li look!

Having a removable MB tray is definitely a plus, especially in this era of massive CPU heatsinks!

If I had the extra cash, I'd buy one of the PC-7+ models with the 2-120MM fans in a heartbeat! I have no plans for WC in the future, and that model would work fine for my needs.

I agree that lower-end Lian-Li's look somewhat plain, albeit well built, the high end V1000-V2000 series is just beautiful. No gimmicky addons, nothing suggesting cheap internals. And the V2000 has more than enough room for watercooling, as well as a dozen hardrives. There's no alternative in my opinion.

some cases are meant to look plain for those that don't want an attention getting case, like me.

as far as the quality of lian-li? i think they are top notch and have never been disappointed w/ any case I've owned. i highly recommend them.

People will always pay for quality! For those who have gotten nasty wounds from working in a tight cheap case will notice the difference. Personally for me i love the plain look but the price for them is far above what i would pay for a case. I enjoy taking a lower tier case and making look the way i want.