Sign in to follow this  
s14

onboard sound not working

Dunno what happened but i went to play some music and winamp gave me an error, looked in control panel under audio and it says "no audio device"

Was working a couple of days ago. I have tried re-installing the nforce sound drivers and also tried some realtek ones.

any ideas why i have no sound? did my onboard sound just suddenly die?

thanks

How did you do? I have the same problem....

Some days ago all ok, yesterday no sound and the sound module wasn't recognized. Today I reinstall windows and I was able to listen sound with nvidia audio drivers, but like so I don't have the realtek software...

never mind, fixed it :)

please let us know how you fixed it or resolved it

your answer could very well help many more users down the road that might encounter the same problem!

I had similar problems where the audio used to work then it stopped working. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the Realtek and NVidia drivers ( separately ) and I couldn't get it to work. Then I discovered a dialog to enable the audio device and that fixed the problem. ( decribed below )

Currently I have the Realtek drivers installed. To find the dialog that enables audio, open the Windows device manager ( right click My Computer and click Mange, then Device Manager ). Click Sounds, video and game controllers. Right Click Realtek AC'97 Audio and select Properties. Click the properties tab at the top and then expand the "Audio Devices" item in that dialog box. Click on "Realtek AC'97 Audio" and hit the Properties button at the bottom of the dialog. In that dialog, select "Use audio features on this device". This is the part that fixed my machine. Previously, the item "Do not use audio features on this device" was checked.

Hopefully this helps you solve your problem. I tripped over it quite accidently as I was digging through the windows UI looking for the problem.