Plans for bios fix for SB X-FI?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rcillig

Ive been running for the last few days with no hick-ups with me x-fi..... finger crossed... maybe I got it worked out now.

Hey everyone, I am new here , but I figured I would chime in on this one as well. I have the X-FI Elite Pro and I actually had it installed with what I thought was no issues as well. Very rarely I would not be able to boot into windows or crash from a game, but I paid it no mind. It would go to the windows splash screen and then the vid signal would be lost as it rebooted again. it would come up and run fine. I must of been lucky at that point, because I updated my bios and now mine would get stuck to where it would not boot into windows. It would go to the windows splash screen, and as soon as you heard the sound card click, it would reboot. It did this several times, wouldn't even boot into windows with safe mode either. So I went through about 5 different bios and a few reformats and I thought I had it the other night, system worked flawlessly for 2 days straight , gaming the night way, then it started all over again. Windows would crash and blue screen in games and then it would refuse to boot into windows. I finally decided to contact Creative and they verified that my card was affected by the nforce 4 issue as well. So it does affect the higher end cards as well. They basically said that they are having to manually configure the cards on their end to get it work correctly with the nforce 4 motherboards. Not sure they are saying it is their fault or not , but they can do something on their end to make it work. I got my RMA setup and will be shipping mine back soon.

man I have so many fraps movies of the FX chug bug. I hate it. It will bring bf2 down to a crawl. And there is NO way my machine should be crawling on bf2. I am glad to see Creative say that there is a confirmed problem.

Creative also gave me the option of returning the card so they could configure the BIOS on the card. And again I asked if that was a perm. solution and they said no, its a chipset/mobo problem. I didnt want to have it messed with, then get it back and update the MB to a fixed BIOS only to have it be funky or weird with a beta bios on my X-Fi.

SO I opted to wait for DFI to post a BIOS. MSI has released theirs. and so have a few others. Im interested to know exactly what the nature of the conflict is.

Not sure they are saying it is their fault or not , but they can do something on their end to make it work. I got my RMA setup and will be shipping mine back soon.

Creative offered me an RMA too, but they told me it would take 10 - 15 BUSINESS days turnaround plus shipping time to address the issue. That's way too slow. I'll deal with the quirks and game for that month instead.

Creative offered me an RMA too, but they told me it would take 10 - 15 BUSINESS days turnaround plus shipping time to address the issue. That's way too slow. I'll deal with the quirks and game for that month instead.

I just decided to go ahead and let them fix it, I am kicking the onboard sound right now. You can tell a difference but I would rather have it fixed as soon as possible , then deal with the crashes.

How hard can it be for Creative to offer a firmware upgrade via download?

Also, why the silence from DFI about this when many other board makers already have a "fixed" BIOS available?

:)

I know what you mean. I'd feel better if I was running BIOS that had "Fix for X-Fi Compatibility Issues" in the release notes.

Also, as I understand it, the firmware on Creative's cards is not accessible through the computer.

I called DFI about the status of a possible BIOS fix for this and the rep told me he hadn't heard anything from headquarters yet. :| ...all he could tell me was the he expects one eventually.

He did tell me Creative offers a replacement, so obviously he's been getting enough calls about this to know that much.

That blows.

Man, I don't really feel comfortable having creative modify a bios, who knows what kind of minor issues it could present in the future and you can't unflash it yourself... I guess I will wait for DFI, at least I can flash and reflash that on my own.