What exactly causes Instability? (Prime95 Errors)

Aldy402

I wanted to know what exactly caused instability or basically errors in Prime95.

Obviously your overclocking but what exactly causues the errors?

-Is it the CPU just giving out because it has no more headroom

-is it the HEAT?

-is the RAM giving up?

-Or is it all of the above?

Im asking because im running a x2 3800+ @2.25 (STOCK HSF) and am very unpleased with the headroom results, so im hoping its temps and maby i'll get better luck with stability with my newly ordered (hasnt arrived yet) SI-120. Or does my CPU jus suck and I just got unlucky? I see people busting out 2.6 on stock voltages and i only cap at 225 stable? Maby im doing something wrong but I can't seem to go higher without getting errors

1.31V (stock) - 225 is the higest it will go on stock voltage without errors

1.31V (stock) - 230 p95 errors in 12 minutes

1.4V - 240 errors in 15 minutes

1-425 - 240 errors in 1 hour

im guessing no point to go further, I dont wanna increase my V anymore with the stock cooler untill my SI-120 gets here

any insight guys? thanks in advance

Guest thespin

From my own experience, the main sticking point is the luck of the draw with the processor you received. I have had my system prime perfect at CPU 62*C and PWMIC 84*C and yet if I add 1 to the fsb, prime crashes before it reaches anywhere near those temps and more voltage doesn't help. Of course, you MUST have a stable memory setup, so use your memory multiplier to keep your memory bus near 200mhz while you overclock your cpu where almost all your performance action is. And also use yout LDT multiplier to keep that below 1000mhz.

Any and all of those reasons.

Have you tried the overclocking guide? Have you testing it thoroughly at stock speeds before going higher?

IMHO a lot of people get in to trouble trying very tight memory settings which are far less important than CPU speed.

But you should be able to do a lot better with a bit more voltage - as long at your load temps stay under 50c you will be fine until your new cooler arrives. I was running up to 1.47v on stock I think.

But do it bit by bit - lower your RAM speed and timings, and try that first.

So isolate and eliminate methodically is the only sure way to find out, you might luck on it earlier, but you might not.

well i HAVE read the overclocking guide and its definetly not the ram, I was running it on a low divider way under 200mhz to ensure that it wasnt the ram so I could definetly rule that out.

As for the power supply and the +5V , I honestly didnt even realize. I paid like 180 dollars for a power supply and just ASSUMED it was more then good enough, lesson learned!

So I guess its not the temp and im just unlucky, damnn

thanks for your input guys

well i HAVE read the overclocking guide and its definetly not the ram, I was running it on a low divider way under 200mhz to ensure that it wasnt the ram so I could definetly rule that out.

Just checking to see where you were at ;-)

Dumb question - have you tried really loose timings as well as low mem divider? I had some issues with stability becuase of too tight timings in the more esoteric memory settings..

What are your load temps anyway?