Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

not only angry, but lucky too ;)

I just ordered a couple of neo backplates for my SLK Thermalright coolers because I have installed and reinstalled them so many times, that I finally stripped out the threads on the mounting posts of my very best (and ONE AND ONLY) SLK-948U...probably the best A64/P4 cooler ever made.

So needing new posts, I just ordered complete neo backplates.

well...the place I ordered from (no names...but they are a great company...and even great companies make mistakes from time to time) sent me the OLD mounting hardware with the new neo-backplate.

So I bugged them and they are sending me replacements

At the same time, I thought "hey, I have no annoyed Thermalright in a long time!" and so you know...I wrote them the email (I also wasn't sure if the company I ordered from would actually have the right mounts heh).

My good buddy Chris @ THermlaright said 'no problem' and had me the mounting hardware sent...but I also added this little bit into my email:

I would also like to ask if you could check every nook and cranny of the Thermlaright warehouses and possibly find me some SLK-948U's to purchase. I really wish you still made these as we prefer bolt-thru mounts, and the SLK is the only one that fits mobile/DTR/lidless 754 and 939 Athlon64 cpu's. If you have one laying around, I will glady purchase it. If you have 10+ laying around, I will gladly purchase ALL of them haha. Everyone at www.dfi-street.com would buy them in an instant.

Thanks for checking into the mounting hardware for me, I desperately need these mounts for the Neo Backplate. Also thanks if you can find me any SLK-948's or any good bolt-thru coolers that will work on socket 754 and 939 motherboards

and the first answer was what i figured...

Hi Travis,

I don't know what had gone wrong with the spare parts bag. But you will have your parts for sure. I will have George send you the right parts asap. Please send him your mailing address.

But I'm sorry to say SLK-948U is no longer in production since a year ago. I think we still have maybe two in stock. I'll have George send you a quote on those two heatsinks.

Thank you for your continued support to Thermalright!

Thermalright,

Chris Lee

BOOYAH

If they even THINK there is a SINGLE SLK-948U left...I am ALL OVER THAT!!!!

Chris,

Thank you very much for your quick support! We've always promoted Thermalright over every other air cooler for this reason!

Thanks again Chris, let me know if I can do ANYTHING for you!

PS: any plans on another 'bolt-thru' heatsink design?

Please let me know how many SLK-948U's you have laying around and I will buy ALL of them!

Travis H

DFI Support Manager

www.dfi-street.com / www.dfi.com.tw

and lo-and-behold....this is the answer I get lol

Hi,Travis:

After looking at my parts shelf, I found 2 units of SLK-478U, both are completed and in brand new condition, not refurbished. $30.00 each and UPS charge is extra.

ps: last two in the earth. :-)

George

Thermalright

this is just one day after I happened to catch this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...fromZR40QQfviZ1

and bought it for $35.00 (19.99 UK Pounds?) from a guy over in England

the odd thing is...the ONLY other SLK-948U I have ever found on ebay, was about 9 months ago, and the bidding ended up at like $65 or something crazy...I wanted it bad....bad enough to bid up to $49...but not so bad as to be stupid heh

so

now I will have FOUR of these mothers around

but Angry_Gloater...what is so damn great about SLK-948U heatsinks???

well let me tell ya...they are SLK-947U's (which a good majority of us know as the ultimate AthlonXP/Pentium4 solid copper bolt-thru cooler) with mounts to allow Athlon64 754/939 cooling!

Well so what right? I mean, we have XP-90's and XP-120's etc

yep...and I DO love my XP-90's...enough to buy 16 of them this year for various functions and friends

but

what happens when you try to smash down a high-tension clip-on heatsink to a BARE cpu like a Mobile/DTR/lidless-from-crazy-modding-Athlon64?

smash...goes the edges of the cache on top of the core...now some have been able to get an XP-90 to mount on a bare cpu without killing it...but far too many have killed thier magical overclocking monsters with XP-90/XP-120/other brands of clip-down sinks.

I still can't believe that I am able to get two brand-spanking-new SLK-948U's directly from Thermalright @ $30.00 each!!!

but sadly...they are the last two left in the world as Thermalright quit making them over a year ago...sure many of us might have one (or some lucky bastard has 2 or more lol)...but go try to find one to purchase...I've spent MANY hours googling the heck out of these sinks just to find a single one to buy...and this week I end up with THREE!

ok thats my gloating and self-congrats for the month.

I also put the idea in Thermalright's head that they should make a killer chipset cooler, the size that will fit our NF4/Crossfire boards and not interfere with the vid cards etc. If anyone is gonna make a great one, it would be Thermalright.

AND

I also put in their minds...that there is STILL demand for bolt-thru designs...

Who WOULDN'T want a bolt-thru XP-90 or XP-120, aluminum or not? I'd LOVE to have a bolt-thru XP-90 aluminum jobby...oh man....I'd have the heatspreader off EVERY cpu within a day (since I only have so many cases for watercooling, and quick-building for a customer with watercooling is just not efficient like putting on or pulling off an air-cooled heatsink)

anyway...me loves Thermalright!!!

Well congrats man! My money would be on one or two also. I was looking for them erler this year too. I am sure they could make one or one like it even better now. I really wanted one back then when they were king but was too poor.

Guest culinist

Heh, and I just happen to have a SLK948U lying out on my workbench with no home. What to do with it...hmmmm?

Well, now i know what I can use to blackmail AG with:)

im actually trying to convince them to do bolt-thru aluminum version...there's simply no need for copper other than maybe a copper base insert on an aluminum XP (like the SI-120?)

AG, I was wondering how the performance is with your "very special heatsinks" versus an xp 90 or xp 120?

Is there any difference?

All that copper looks shinney :drool:

AG, I was wondering how the performance is with your "very special heatsinks" versus an xp 90 or xp 120?

Is there any difference?

All that copper looks shinney :drool:

no i doubt there is really any difference...the important thing for me is the ability to Bolt-Thru the motherboard

this is essential for lidless (ie bare, non-heatspreader) cpu's like mobile A64's, or the ones where we cut off the tops lol.

I also like the ability to bolt-thru...it is a more secure way of doing things...look at the undersides of your XP-90's and 120's...you will see (after repeated installations) they start to 'mark' or 'score' from being tensioned on one side during install (clip-down).

but

I should shut my mouth and do an actual comparison right? (not that it is important since you cant buy these anyway)

im actually trying to convince them to do bolt-thru aluminum version...there's simply no need for copper other than maybe a copper base insert on an aluminum XP (like the SI-120?)
The standard XP-90 has a copper base, it is nickle coated. :nod:

If you had m,entioned you needed a SLK948U I would have hooked you up with my last 3. But I just used them for three rigs I helped people build last month.

Oh no! Wasted on mere mortals. Curses!

If you had m,entioned you needed a SLK948U I would have hooked you up with my last 3. But I just used them for three rigs I helped people build last month.