DFI LanParty RDX200 CF-DR (initial pics/build)

One 1575 is not pin compatible with 450 and requires redesign to use it. 1575 gives up IDE speed to bring on some Usb speed that still is not up to supposed NF4 speed. Of course it is all specs and specs are subject to change without notice but I do not feel at all let down by my 160gig Usb drive or my one gig pendrive. They are both fast and Sata Raid on the 450 chipset is fast regardless of what specs want to say. So I guess you buy on specs alone and not how well each mobo may actually work in the real world.

RGone...

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless i am all confused, i think they are talking videocard gpu's there ;)

I think you're getting all confused mate. RD580 is the successor to RD480, being a northbridge chipset. R520 and R580 are the videocard codenames. R580 is way far off though.

As far as I know, it goes like this:

R = videocard

RV = videocard

RD = chipset

One 1575 is not pin compatible with 450 and requires redesign to use it. 1575 gives up IDE speed to bring on some Usb speed that still is not up to supposed NF4 speed. Of course it is all specs and specs are subject to change without notice but I do not feel at all let down by my 160gig Usb drive or my one gig pendrive. They are both fast and Sata Raid on the 450 chipset is fast regardless of what specs want to say. So I guess you buy on specs alone and not how well each mobo may actually work in the real world.

Yes I am fully aware ULi's 1575 and ATi's SB450 are not pin compatible. However if RD580 isn't pin-compatible with RD480 (though I doubt it), and DFI have to redesign a little to release a motherboard with the new northbridge, they might as well put in the 1575 while they're at it, as that is what more people are demanding. Personally, I could care less about USB transfer rates. 100Mb/sec or 400Mb/sec, makes little difference to me. I'm more worried about NCQ and SATA 2.0 I have hardware now (and will have more in future) that could utilize these features if offered by the motherboard.

As for these RD480 DFI motherboards working in the real world, well from what I've been reading on this forum alone, they're experiencing teething problems. I'm sitting back gathering information from all the early adopters, and will make an informed decision on whether to jump in or not based on everyone else's feedback!

like i said earlier, the board doesn't seem to like CAS3 at all

but

keep in mind this is an ATI chipset...it isn't anything like your NF4 or any other chipset. It is new and probably won't perform the same as what you think it should using another chipset for comparison

New Bios has definatly solved the 262Mhz Brick wall I had on my HTT bus. RUnning 318x9 right now. 32Mil SuperPi, 3d01 and 3d05 stable! I waws able to run my BH-5 up to 240 with this Bios, so MUCH better than the previous, but still not perfect. I'm within 20 3d05 points of my highest on my NF4 now.

Cant wait till my G.Skill 2gb Kit gets here... Hopefully that will do better on this board.

THumbs up on an excellent Bios revision DFI!

like i said earlier, the board doesn't seem to like CAS3 at all

but

keep in mind this is an ATI chipset...it isn't anything like your NF4 or any other chipset. It is new and probably won't perform the same as what you think it should using another chipset for comparison

True, but usually new chipsets exibit forward progress, not regression. It's quite a drastic difference (even if these are synthetic benchmarks), hopefully a few BIOS upates can bring it up to speed.