Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

DFI LanParty RDX200 CF-DR (initial pics/build)

Hey Guys,

I got the system put together and it booted fine right out of the box. All BIOS setting are in default/AUTO. The only things I tweaked are the time and date settings, boot devices and boot order.

I have a few questions...

Using the memory listed in my signature below, windows reports only 3.25GB's. Is it because of a limitation with windows? Also, I've gone to shut off the computer (from windows) and the system shuts off for about 2 seconds then starts up again. When I go back to shut down the system after this occurs (I wait for it to fully boot back into windows, then shutdown) it turns off and stays off. Any suggestions on both of these things?

If you have PS/2 keyboard or mouse, set Jp7 to pins 2 and 3 instead of 1 and 2. That should take care of the shutdown/restart problem.

The 3.25 memory thing may be nothing more than a windows thing as we get toward 4gigs memory on XP o/s. But you can go bios Advanced Chipset Features and set S/W and/or H/W memory hole remapping and see if you see a difference. If NOT I would turn those two 'back off' and not worry about it because it is using the memory.

RGone...

Hey Guys,

I got the system put together and it booted fine right out of the box. All BIOS setting are in default/AUTO. The only things I tweaked are the time and date settings, boot devices and boot order.

I have a few questions...

Using the memory listed in my signature below, windows reports only 3.25GB's. Is it because of a limitation with windows? Also, I've gone to shut off the computer (from windows) and the system shuts off for about 2 seconds then starts up again. When I go back to shut down the system after this occurs (I wait for it to fully boot back into windows, then shutdown) it turns off and stays off. Any suggestions on both of these things?

dinos22 man, I am on 340HTT x 8, with 166 mem speed set which gives me 2719Mhz and within the max range of my cpu and the memory is at 271.9Mhz and I am happily priming along. So if my Opteron comes with a 10 multiplier>>>Hot dog I should be able to push it easily and keep my memory at around 280 which I know the board does fine. Seems your plan may well be doable man. Letting this go for 8 hours for OCDB entry. I need a faster processor/// hehehehehe. :nod:

RGone...

:eek2: :nod: thanks dude

i like to look at pretty pics so post some screenies to :D

So if my Opteron comes with a 10 multiplier>>>Hot dog I should be able to push it easily

RGone...

i like the sound of this.....are you on an Opteron already or getting one :D

Do hope>>> getting one >>> but not yet. Hehehehhe.

I had to knock my prime off of the 340x8 on 166mem to check out something for BT and then went ahead and hooked up a USB drive to see how well it works and just got prime back on about 1.5 hours ago so I am 6.5 hours from thru at these settings. Will do the captures for 275x10, 280x10 and this one when I get thru close to morning my location. Will try post up pics then.

RGone...

:eek2: :nod: thanks dude

i like to look at pretty pics so post some screenies to :D

i like the sound of this.....are you on an Opteron already or getting one :D

I've had too many things NOT work right out of the box compared to what everyone elses (so it would seem) experience's have been...I could not get an OS installed and working as it should till I finally underclocked to 200X10, 1 stick of Geil one in slot 2, memory at 2.75v and set at 166 divider...Saturday morning on a Maxtor PATA drive. This after trying a Hitachi SATA II drive on channel one and crawling through installation Wednesday night. Using channel 5 installing drivers during install moved along nicely until first reboot. Trying a maxtor PATA resulted in the same thing. Windows instlalled quickly and after files are copied and the first reboot she always locked up...

So for three nights I tinkered with different channels, drivers, formats, hard drives, memory and bios settings. No fun.

Now that I finally have it running Saturday morning I try a quick pass of aquamark and it fails. Change ldt from auto to 5 and she fails again. change it to ldt 4X and she don't post. Change it to ldt 3X and finally pass aquamark then onto 3DM01...no problems. This is all at stock clocks. Popped in both sticks of Geil in 2/4 and see what the processor can do which ends up being right about where it has been in my NF3 939...around 2.7~2.75 so nothing new.

Spent a little time with the memory at lower clocks to see how far they'd go at tight timings, 225~235ish. Didn't spend much time there :) Using Tony's settings I was getting up to 9X275 in memtest with no errors. Going to 276 would not post. Hard to play with timings and see what's what when you go from zero errors to no post (for me...aint no memory guru). Moving from memtest to windows she won't do more than 255X10 in aquamark. 260X10 she locks up during the bench, sometimes requiring cmos clear after a reset.

Now she's not posting everytime after I make all of my memory changes (loose ones mind you) after cmos clear at stock clocks which is really sucking the life out of me...TOO many little things going wrong, not to mention the system speaker is dead, for me to point the finger solely at myself and inexperience. Not even interested in trying different memory at this point as I think this particular board is just not up to spec...

Trust me, I have no ego when it comes to computers and certainly don't think I know it all...I've stuck it out with the NF3 939 and learned alot and made her go with some work. If I exchange this mobo and have similar results with another, well then, I guess I have a whole lot more left to learn...

I've had too many things NOT work right out of the box compared to what everyone elses (so it would seem) experience's have been...I could not get an OS installed and working as it should till I finally underclocked to 200X10, 1 stick of Geil one in slot 2, memory at 2.75v and set at 166 divider...Saturday morning on a Maxtor PATA drive. This after trying a Hitachi SATA II drive on channel one and crawling through installation Wednesday night. Using channel 5 installing drivers during install moved along nicely until first reboot. Trying a maxtor PATA resulted in the same thing. Windows instlalled quickly and after files are copied and the first reboot she always locked up...

So for three nights I tinkered with different channels, drivers, formats, hard drives, memory and bios settings. No fun.

Now that I finally have it running Saturday morning I try a quick pass of aquamark and it fails. Change ldt from auto to 5 and she fails again. change it to ldt 4X and she don't post. Change it to ldt 3X and finally pass aquamark then onto 3DM01...no problems. This is all at stock clocks. Popped in both sticks of Geil in 2/4 and see what the processor can do which ends up being right about where it has been in my NF3 939...around 2.7~2.75 so nothing new.

Spent a little time with the memory at lower clocks to see how far they'd go at tight timings, 225~235ish. Didn't spend much time there :) Using Tony's settings I was getting up to 9X275 in memtest with no errors. Going to 276 would not post. Hard to play with timings and see what's what when you go from zero errors to no post (for me...aint no memory guru). Moving from memtest to windows she won't do more than 255X10 in aquamark. 260X10 she locks up during the bench, sometimes requiring cmos clear after a reset.

Now she's not posting everytime after I make all of my memory changes (loose ones mind you) after cmos clear at stock clocks which is really sucking the life out of me...TOO many little things going wrong, not to mention the system speaker is dead, for me to point the finger solely at myself and inexperience. Not even interested in trying different memory at this point as I think this particular board is just not up to spec...

Trust me, I have no ego when it comes to computers and certainly don't think I know it all...I've stuck it out with the NF3 939 and learned alot and made her go with some work. If I exchange this mobo and have similar results with another, well then, I guess I have a whole lot more left to learn...

Hey OldGuy,

there is a chance you got a duff board, I know tht you r one of those peeps who tweak things 'properly' and seeing you have been tweaking for a good number of days, im drawing the conclusion tht there may be something wrong with your board.

Rather than waste more of your time (waste is harsh, but without positive results it seems tht way, but hey you have probably learnt the board inside out ;)) is it not possible for you to get your hands on another one, and try it with the same hardware. This would rule out a board problem straight away.

Really i feel for you, i know how frustrating it can be when something dosent work, never mind tht you are still perceivering to get it to work!!!

:)

@ OldGuy: Your story sounds exactly like what I experienced with a ASRock Dual SATA2 board 1st time around......

An RMA to the Egg and the 2nd board went smooth as silk... It sounds like your board is bad.... Do the RMA...:)

OleGuy, I think RebelsHaven et Mongoled are spot on man. RMA that thing and see if the results come up better man. I have seen your style and it ain't noob or shotcuttish.

RGone...

@ OldGuy: Your story sounds exactly like what I experienced with a ASRock Dual SATA2 board 1st time around......

An RMA to the Egg and the 2nd board went smooth as silk... It sounds like your board is bad.... Do the RMA...:)

Just got my RDX200 this morning. Gonna eb a long day at work. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have my Crossfire X850 mster card, and thennext month a x2 Opty.....

Hey guys, here's another unfortunate first experience.

I'm not a regular poster here so i don't have a current signature updated, but i'll list what i've tried in this RDX.

PSU: OCZ Modstream 520

CPU: 4400+, 3700+ SD, 3500+ Venice, 3200+ winchester

Mem: UTT BH5 (got pounds of it here, i've tried most. some known good up to 270mhz) G-skill 2x1gb (F1-3200USU2, Stable in NF4 DFI up to 23x but haven't tested too much TCCD), G-Skill 2x512 (some of the cheap ZX stuff, nothing special but its TCCD)

Perifs: I've tried it all. sata, pata, multiple video cards, and minimal boot only, you know the drill.

So here's my problem. Im lucky if it posts at all after saving a bios setting.

The only way It will boot is to save the setting, wait 5 seconds, manually power off the machine, and then power it on. The settings do save, but the performance is absolutly terrible. There seems to be a wall about 225mhz HTT. That sounds like its not properly locking the pci, but i know that to be untrue via cpu-z.

The only component I haven't switched is the PSU, which i suspect to be the problem. I didn't have another one available with me to test this unfortunatly. This ModStream is a 4 pinner, not 8. Although i was under the impression this isn't a necessity, I'd like to know your guys' thoughts on this.

I'm quite methodical in my setups, so i really don't think its something i'm doing, but you never know.

I'll update as i try a new PSU which i'll have to go buy as all the ones i've got access to are 4 pins. Rather unfortunate that i'm brought to that just to get this board working. But i'll save the disapointment in lieu of constructive problem solving at this point.

-butter

[edit this post probably should be moved to its own thread, got a bit jumpy and posted it at the end of a monster for some reason]

Mines going back RMA for a refund...so at least if I decide to give it another try I won't be paying the full pop I dished out last tuesday. Supposed to have more in stock at NewEgg today so we'll see...

Drat, this 24+8 power connector thing has thrown me for a loop. Looks like I'm gonna go pick up a new PS tonight before playing with the board. Recomendations?