My PSU is only 20pin

I just thought of a potentially stupid idea for the modding freaks. how about modding a SATA connector (its got 12V,5V and 3.3V) to a 4pin connector (rip off SATA plug and replace with 4pin plug with appropriate wireout) to plug in for pcie power.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RECOMMENDATION:

All PSU's should come without any molex's or pins, the wires should be soldered in to position!

You wouldn't have to solder. But these multi-connectors which have one mechnical mechanism holding 20 or 24 pins are junk by definition.

It would be a huge improvment to have each line on its own plug, and use decent plugs. How about XLR? :D

You wouldn't have to solder. But these multi-connectors which have one mechnical mechanism holding 20 or 24 pins are junk by definition.

It would be a huge improvment to have each line on its own plug, and use decent plugs. How about XLR? :D

This is becoming a real problem,

I believe that Hiper in their Type R modular PSU's has best addressed this problem on the PSU end.

Given the existing standards, I do not see any possibility of this being addressed on the mobo end. :shake:

Btw how important is it to plug a PSU molex connector into the motherboard slot? The one to the right of the PCI-E position, i've never seen one there before. :)
Yes, 4-power plugs: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...734&postcount=3

It is hard to say, as the load requirements vary with the CPU, RAM, video card(s) & of course the OC.

We always recommend that all 4 be plugged in, it reduces problems, as it provides for max stability.

Dave ;)