My PSU is only 20pin

Hi Everyone,

Just received my new mobo yesterday and was excited to get it all set up in my rig. I had everything in place (cpu, video, IDE, Heat sink.....) everything except the main atx power cable. I go to plug it in and OOPS! It's only a 20 pin connector. Now this board is an upgrade from an nForce2 mobo so I haven't been apart of the standard changes in mobo technology.

Anyway, I have an Ultra 600w psu that I like a lot. I don't want to have to replace it with something new.

So last night I called one of the guys in my IT department at work and they told me that I could just plug in the 20 pin connector and it'll power up just fine. But eventually I should go out and buy a 20 to 24 pin adapter. Well, I decided not to try and power it up with just the 20pin plug being that most of the parts are brand new. However, I'm wondering if his advice was correct.

So my question is: would the computer work fine with only the 20pin plug inserted in the 24pin slot? Second, is running the computer with the 20 to 24 adapter an acceptable and stable long term solution?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ElAguila

Until you get a true 24 pin psu you may have random problems with your system and you won't get support from dfi.

your tech is not wrong but he is also not 100% correct neither, it may work fine but is not reccomended, personally i would no just plug the 20pin straight into the board i would at least use a 24pin adapter but this is also not reccomended ( i got away with it for a few months before i got a new PSU and had no problems post i link to your PSU so we can at least check its technical spec.

Well, I ran out on my lunch break and picked up a 20 to 24 pin adapter that splits a wire to each of the extra 4 pins (com, 3.3v, 5v and 12v) I haven't tried it on the PC as of yet, but I'll be giving this a try and testing for stability before I invest another $100 in a new PSU.

Here's a link to a review of the PSU. I'd link the product page from Ultra, but they've come out with a newer/better model and mine isn't up anymore.

I completly understand that DFI won't support using the adapter, but I'm not in a financial position to buy a new PSU for at least another month. And hell, if this works fine, that's my risk to accept.

Note: Oh, and if you're reading the review and notice that it already comes with a 20-24 pin adapter, umm... I spent the entire night looking for it. Seems like i lost it. :( Oh well, what's another $6?

Guest ElAguila

I understand that. If you don't got the dollars for a new one you have to make do with what you have.