$150 Vid Card = 1700+ 3dmark 01?

C0DE

just got my Radeon (saffire) 9500 NP and softmod + a little oc and its getting better scores then some stock Radeon 9800s, havent compared one running the same cpu though.

17100 = 3dmark01

5500 = 3dmark03

i could get higher marks in both with some more tweaking, although with these results its not needed since these marks blow away any of my friends marks. also this was with my cpu clocked at 2.2mhz (3200+) so there is a lot of room there for more of an increase. anyways just thought i would share the best deal right now concerning hardware.

worst case senario is that you get a 9500 np that doesnt have the L shaped ram layout.. even then you can softmod it to a 9500 pro.

Edited by C0DE

Wow nice scores. I'm wondering though, how do you softmod a 9500 to a 9500PRO? I thought the point of the softmod was to open up the 4 pipelines that the 9500 didn't utilise. If this doesn't work how do you open them? 9500PRO uses 8 pipelines.

i get scores a little higher with my comp, like 17778 or something like that. Anyways its pure luck that we were able to get these scores. The softmod doesnt work all the time, infact more often then not it fails and you get artifacts. But if it does it, yes its a great deal.

Wow nice scores. I'm wondering though, how do you softmod a 9500 to a 9500PRO? I thought the point of the softmod was to open up the 4 pipelines that the 9500 didn't utilise. If this doesn't work how do you open them? 9500PRO uses 8 pipelines.

yea i forget where i read about it, i dont have it in my favorites. sorry, i could be wrong nor did i investigate it further because it i didnt need to. i might have the link at work but i clearly remember reading that a 9500 np can be chagned to a pro, again i dont remember where. if i find the link tomorrow i will post again.

i get scores a little higher with my comp, like 17778 or something like that. Anyways its pure luck that we were able to get these scores. The softmod doesnt work all the time, infact more often then not it fails and you get artifacts. But if it does it, yes its a great deal. 

hmm, well i have only read success stories, and worse case senario is that you get a 9500, if you get artifacts you just reinstall the original drivers. i wouldnt go as far as saying that it fails more often. if you get a card with the L ram layout i would bet the chances are definently above 50%.. i would have thought way past 50%.

Edited by C0DE

Even if you use the softmod driver u will not open the 4 pipelines. that has to be done physically on the video card.

ahh yes it does.. or pls explain so i can email the 2 sites i just checked that they are also mistaken. please go into a little more detail.. i have heard of the hardware mod although i thought it could be either.

i think the SOFTMOD only allows you to OC it to a 9700 or so. There are two types though, one of which...you can call the HARDMOD (because you're changing the physical hardware) as opposed to the software.

when you do a softmod, you first have to unlock the bios, that's the reason to get a saphire card, because they do that for you.

i can't find the links, but when i do, i'll post how to unlock and mess around with the card.

9500 pro link guide

9500 non-pro link guide

Edited by blippy

Even if you use the softmod driver u will not open the 4 pipelines. that has to be done physically on the video card.

so your saying im getting a 17,000+ 3dmark running on 4 pipelines?

i think the SOFTMOD only allows you to OC it to a 9700 or so. There are two types though, one of which...you can call the HARDMOD (because you're changing the physical hardware) as opposed to the software.

when you do a softmod, you first have to unlock the bios, that's the reason to get a saphire card, because they do that for you.

i can't find the links, but when i do, i'll post how to unlock and mess around with the card.

9500 pro link guide

9500 non-pro link guide

exactly thank you for the better explanation.

There is no more need for a hardmod the softmod does the same thing. Softmod opens up pipelines, a new BIOS allows you to overclock. With the old 9500's it also opens up the 256-bit memory bus which turns it into a 9700 while the new 9500's just open the pipelines (hence making it a 9500PRO) and keep the 128-bit memory bus. That's what I take from it from reading around. I believe this is one of the reasons ATI came out with the 9600 series, because they don't even have the pipelines on them to unlock, they only have 4.

i want to do the 9500 non-pro mod, but what from i just from syneze.....i have to get the OLD version of the 9500, to get the 256-bit memory bus?

do you have any dates or anything that would help me get the right one?

I know you're supposed to get the 9500 with the RED board and not the BLACK, but is there anything else?

i want to do the 9500 non-pro mod, but what from i just from syneze.....i have to get the OLD version of the 9500, to get the 256-bit memory bus?

do you have any dates or anything that would help me get the right one?

I know you're supposed to get the 9500 with the RED board and not the BLACK, but is there anything else?

well the 4 memory backs need to be in an L shaped as in 2 on the right and 2 on top. not 4 on a straight line. if you have that then uninstall your ati control pannel and inst the OMEGA drivers and that is it.

http://www.omegacorner.com/ati.htm

it really couldnt be easier. even if you dont have the L shaped ram layout still inst these drivers for they will increase performance.. the only thing necessary is that you uninst the ATI control pannel if you have it installed.. dont worry about the drivers they will be installed over and the control pannel will be reinstalled but with omega tweaks/... gl