Reboot/Warm boot problem !Help!

I have just built this computer and have been able to install Windows XP Pro. My problems manifests whenever I push the reset button on the case or when I choose Start> Shut down> Restart within windows. When I do this one of four things will happen randomly;

1. The computer will reboot normally (Approximately 2 out of 10 times)

2. The computer will show random wavy lines during post and just hang (Approximately 2 out of 10 times)

3. The computer will show a black screen with an uninterrupted, continuous beep and hang. (Approximately 2 out of 10 times)

4. The computer will simply display a black screen, with no beeps, or anything and simply hang (Approximately 4 out of 10 times)

When I enter bios and “save and exit” it seems to reboot fine.

Things that I have noticed that may be the problem, the 5v rail is at 4.97 in bios health status. The Northbridge is at 40 degrees Celsius in bios. Or the motherboard is bad. When I first booted up the computer I flashed the bios using a floppy, and have recently flashed it again using the newest bios. Within Windows CPU-Z show CPU V-Core about .05 below what it is set in the bios. The ram voltage is at 2.6 and I have put up to 2.8 to no effect.

Things that are probably not the root of the problem; all four power connectors are connecter to the motherboard. The CPU temps stay at 32 idle and 40 load. Right now I have the bios settings set to optimized defaults with the exception of the loosened RAM timings.

A less serious issue is that in windows it detects my SATA Western Digital Raptor as a “snap in” removable device, like a USB key. It puts a thing in the system tray that allows me to “stop” the device like a USB key. . . ? This is my system drive and the only one installed. How do I get rid of this?

uhhhhhhm, hi welcome to the street.

QUOTE : Things that I have noticed that may be the problem, the 5v rail is at 4.97 in bios health status.

The Northbridge is at 40 degrees Celsius in bios. Or the motherboard is bad. When I first booted up the computer I flashed the bios using a floppy, and have recently flashed it again using the newest bios. Within Windows CPU-Z show CPU V-Core about .05 below what it is set in the bios. The ram voltage is at 2.6 and I have put up to 2.8 to no effect.

Unless you use a multimeter, you will not get accurate readings from any board really. *(probably not a problem, test with DMM if it worries or you juzst need to know.)

"QUOTE : A less serious issue is that in windows it detects my SATA Western Digital Raptor as a “snap in” removable device, like a USB key. It puts a thing in the system tray that allows me to “stop” the device like a USB key. . . ? This is my system drive and the only one installed. How do I get rid of this?

Normal event.

Select hide icon if the "removable device Icon" for Sata devices annoys you.

Ha what a joke, seems to be working! I took both the front fan and the cpu fan off of the mobo 3-pin connection and it rebooted (once) just fine. I will play around with it some more and see if i can get it to reproduce the problem.