Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

Its funny you say that when I first got my 148 I had wished I got the 146 or 144 (This was only because I got one with an unknown stepping CACJE). With that said, after almost three days of testing I am currenlty at 2.87GHz on 1.932v (RAM settings very low to isolate CPU) and things are very stable. I am priming right now with no error's, and ran SuperPI's 32m test 4x with no problems as well so this new stepping is performing very well for me.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overclock the Athlon XP-M before, but having trouble on prime with my Opteron 148 CABYE 0542FPMW. Got this sucka from Monarch last week, currently running @ 300x10, 1.48volts. I have the Ultra-D, not sure how to setup the memory timings, currently most settings are on "auto". I was able to prime stable at 2.9ghz at same volts. You can tell im here writing this post (stable), just prime not stable. Tried upping the volts, it got hotter to like 63c and freezed! Help me please. Thanks.

Roger_D25, I hope that thats a mis-type, 1.932 is a hell of a lot, and 1.9v has been known to kill AMD64s instantly (bug with the 7/02 BIOS ran 1.9v on some settings).

bucdenny 63c is a bit much, temps like that would probably be close enough to trip the thermal protection and turn off the CPU. Better temps would definitely help, my 146 was not stable at 2.7ghtz with just 52c (left the fan on my Big Typhoon unplugged..) With 44c, and the fan turned on, its stable at 2.8ghtz (forcing my VX to play nice, 2.8ghtz seems stable).

What do you mean "1.932 is a hell of a lot of voltage", that is nothing, lol! No your right Death909, if I was running anywhere near there my opty would be dead! In fact I meant to right 1.392v on the core (BIOS set to 1.4V), I am sorry about posting the misinformation!

Well, its better than my 146 then. I've just had to boost the voltage to 1.475v to get stability at 2.86ghtz. Its better than my original estimate though, since it ran 2.7ghtz with 1.45v I was expecting a 6.66% better OC than my 3200+ (since it needed 1.55v for stability at 2.7ghtz). Once more I get a decent CPU, once more I miss out on one of those miracle ones that can OC like mine at stock voltage. I'm seriously considering buying another just to try and get 3ghtz at 1.4v. Guess I should sell the 3200+ first..

Edit: I was thinking, if dividers such as 140/200 make the CPU unstable, wouldn't higher dividers like 160/200 keep the CPU stable until higher clockspeeds are reached? As in going from 160/200 to 180/200 might get stability at higher clockspeeds? This is a wild assumption, but if anyone has TCCD and wants to test this...

...Opterons seem to have alot of trouble with low dividers (like 140/200 or less). This doesn't seem to be a problem exclusive to Opterons though, its just that the most popular ones have 9x or 10x max multipliers and most if not all can hit somewhere near 3ghtz...

Hey guys, is that really as common as it seems? I ran 2 opty's with my Redlines and I could use any divider I wanted with no ill effect. I used the 100MHz divider very often when I was testing the cpu.

Can anyone else reveal if their BH-5 or CH-5 had no divider issues?

I'm sure ix or Martin would have played with this ram at some point, mad scientists they are...

Hiya boys,

What is the recommended way of burning in a Opty or similar?

Should I burn it in @ lowest possible volts or @ highest possible clock?

I replaced them crappy Kingstons HyperX modules with a single old Hynix module that I took from my server...and instantly I hit 2.95 @ stock volt...!

I guess if burned in properly I could get it up to 3ghz @ stock volts, if only I could decide what method to use :confused:

Please help me out here, I can run this baby on only 0.992 volts stable and have seen somewhere that you should start at lowest possible volt...or burn it in @ 2.95ghz on stock..

Any ideas?

Just got my Opty 148 CAB2E 0545 yesterday afternoon... still haven't slept. Have it SuperPI 32M stable at 273x11 (3003MHz) 1.58Vcore, OCCT stable as well. Using the process outlined in the OC guide. Once I find the sweet spot, then its on to testing my old BH-5!

Grrr! I can't seem to get 3DMark01 to complete at these speeds. Any suggestions? Memory is currently running at freq = 193.3, 2-3-2-5-T1. Temps are 43-43-48 CPU-PWMIC-Chipset.

Guest laydback
Hiya boys,

What is the recommended way of burning in a Opty or similar?

Should I burn it in @ lowest possible volts or @ highest possible clock?

I replaced them crappy Kingstons HyperX modules with a single old Hynix module that I took from my server...and instantly I hit 2.95 @ stock volt...!

I guess if burned in properly I could get it up to 3ghz @ stock volts, if only I could decide what method to use :confused:

Please help me out here, I can run this baby on only 0.992 volts stable and have seen somewhere that you should start at lowest possible volt...or burn it in @ 2.95ghz on stock..

Any ideas?

Burning in is a myth, one of which I myself fell into. The only thing "burning in" is good for is after you apply thermal grease it speeds up the process it takes to cure the application. No one has been able to prove the burning in theory from a scientific standpoint.

Burning in is a myth, one of which I myself fell into. The only thing "burning in" is good for is after you apply thermal grease it speeds up the process it takes to cure the application. No one has been able to prove the burning in theory from a scientific standpoint.

I agree 100 % with you!

Just a myth.

Burning in is a myth
agree with cpu though i have noticed it does benefit memory. :)

Am starting to get results on my rig now, had problems like Spartacus getting some memory stability. Running about a volt higher than has normally been the case now getting > 5hrs stable with sp2004 memory test.

Running 266x11 2926 @9:10 225 2,3,3,0 Mem 2.83v, vcore 1.35x110% =1.44v Will have to slacken timings to 2.5 when i go higher. May be a close call as to whether extra 80+ mhz is worth the loss in latency.

Happy ocing Oh yes & xmas :) :shake: