Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

finally getting Prime95 to run longer than 17 minutes @ 300x10 with this 146...though I must have rebooted and changed a setting at LEAST 50 times already since i put the 275x10 in teh OC DB

i had to finally drop to 300x10 @ DDR166 but she's priming along...we'll see...we'll see...

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone aware of an issue with OCZ gold, as below, and some dividers?

For example; I can boot on auto, 200, 120, and 100, but nothing in between.

How strange is that?! Is there a setting in the bios I'm missing?

edit: According to the OCZ forum this is a problem with some cpus.

Playing with my week 0512 150 has led me to reconsider the validity of the commonly held belief that Venus core = San Diego core. As many of us have experienced, Opterons very often can not handle memory the same way our Athlons could. This is generally evidenced by lower memory frequencies, higher Vdimms, divider issues, and looser timings. This fact is already suggestive that the memory controllers of the two cores are in reality different animals.

However, I have had a very different experience with my 0512. As the screen shot below shows, I have been able to achieve very tight timings with this CPU - much more so than with my other Opterons. More importantly, I have achieved these timings using around .1 fewer volts than my others required for stability. (Check out Read Preamble!)

150spi32mmax3nz.th.png

This has led me to believe that this early week is a different beast than the more recently available ones (0528 and beyond). The memory controller on this 0512 acts more like a San Diego than an Opteron. My (completely unfounded) speculation is that over the next 16 weeks, modifications in the manufacturing process were made which impacted Opteron's memory controllers (likely to better serve the workstation market). For this reason, I am less certain than ever that the Venus core is the same as the San Diego core. This is obviously just a theory, and a theory based on a sample size of one at that. Take it with a grain of salt.

Moral of the story: don't be surprised if your memory will not perform as it did with an Athlon. I suspect that it is not supposed to!

at 286MHz HTT both of my Opterons ran at MAL=7 (1ns tighter than yours) and RP=5 (0.5ns looser than yours) so not sure about the moral of that story......i never tried 4.5 TBH either.....my Opterons were both newer ones past week 30

my 24/7 setup Opteron [email protected] 289MHz HTT MAL=7 and RP=5 and I did not tweak memory....basically just running same settings from old DFI/Abit experience and it works and is stable......i know what people say but it works :P

if you can go past 300MHz HTT with MAL=7 and RP=4.5 you're onto something there

one of OCAU guys groovetek likes to play with memory a lot......check it out.....Opteron 144 (wk36) with 333MHz HTT MAL=9 & RP=4.5

groove8mz.jpg

here is the screenshot of mine

dino2pv.jpg

here is coop's week43 from XS with MAL=8; RP=4

coop7yd.jpg

Guest laydback
finally getting Prime95 to run longer than 17 minutes @ 300x10 with this 146...though I must have rebooted and changed a setting at LEAST 50 times already since i put the 275x10 in teh OC DB

i had to finally drop to 300x10 @ DDR166 but she's priming along...we'll see...we'll see...

Same here =P I cant use anything higher if I want to prime. Quick question, what is the benefit of setting the startup VID higher then then CPU vid? I noticed that in your OC DB entry and was just wonderin. Good luck priming.

Guest laydback
Good suggestion laydback, I did try that but with my limited experince I only got minimal hits on the stepping so I was trying to see if anyone had any addition thoughts on it. I'll keep looking, thanks again.

Too bad, I would have sold you my CABYE =P

Ok, sorry if this has been discussed already but I don't fancy reading through a thousand posts to find the answer :D

With the spec in my sig I am having problems with either the board, memory controller or RAM. It doesnt play ball with a lot of dividers (even very low ones), and I am using very slack memory timings for things like MAL and RP. Now obviously it could be that the memory controller on my CPU isn't too hot, but to rule out everything could someone please tell me:

1) What's the best BIOS to use with my Corsair (Infineon Die Rev. B)?

2) What are the best Genie RAM settings to get stability with the Corsair?

I can Memtest for hours at 3Ghz (10 x 300) but it is not stable at all in Windows :(

Thanks,

Suman

Like any eforum, it is all about reading and searching to find leads and maybe even the answer you seek. Without being prepared to do the basics it will be hard for you to achieve the goal you are after. There are a number of BIOS versions and trying them will help you find which is the best for your setup. Search the OC Database and work through the Ultimate OC Guide for starters, then come and say what you have found and tried with current settings ... such as what BIOS version are you running now.. But if reading is really just too hard maybe a DELL would be better operationally for you. :cool:

RAM Guide

OC DB Corsair

Ok, sorry if this has been discussed already but I don't fancy reading through a thousand posts to find the answer :D

But if reading is really just too hard maybe a DELL would be better operationally for you.

This thread is almost 1000 posts long. Unlike you I don't have my entire life to sit here and read it along with all the others. I was merely asking if anyone had experience with the same setup to save myself some time, I don't think there is any harm in this? I am well aware of how to use the Search function, and I have read many threads and still not found the answer. Please don't bother replying if you have nothing more than a pedantic answer to give me.

Thanks anyway,

Suman

So.. after an incredibly long time waiting, namely one month, three weeks and a day, I have finally got my Opteron. Its a CAB2E, 0546 FPAW. I'm currently running the OCCT stability test at 2.7ghtz with 1.45v. (I know OCCT isn't foolproof, but I only run Prime overnight). This is .1v better than my 3200+, so I'm already happy (not to mention the L2). I'm going to try and hit 3ghtz, but my estimate is 2.9ghtz with 1.55v (which is my max comfortable overvolt). Now I'm both dissappointed and impressed with the TT Big Typhoon, seeing as it was capable of handling the Opteron without the fan running (didn't plug it in, damn excitement getting in the way). Plugging the fan in only gave 7c better temps.

Alright so I got an Opteron 144 CAB2E a few weeks ago and it's been running 2.7GHZ @ stock voltage up until today, other than a bit of testing here and there.

So currently I passed Super PI 32M @ 2.906GHZ @ 1.6V with my FSB @ 322MHZ with a 9X multiplier, memory is running on a DDR 120 divider @ 223.6MHZ ( 23.36MHZ over stock ) @ 2-3-2-5 timings with a 9ns max async latency and a 7ns read preamble, 2.8V

For some reason I cant seem to get 2.8ghz stable and run super pi or prime at all, but 2.9ghz is working fine for me, not making much sens, and i can get into windows a 3ghz but it all goes downhill from there.

If i get 2.9ghz 100% stable at 1.6V should i run that 24/7? Or back off to 2.7ghz @ stock for everyday use?