Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

The 939 pin dual core Opterons (165, 170, 175, and 180) will work on a socket 939 board. Comparisons between them and the X2 Athlons are trickling in. I will let you know how they do when there are enough results out.

This is what Im interested in as My next upgrade will be dual. Anyone know whether we will see dual opteron 939s?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to get a 144!!! I don't think there is a catch to these. They are server chips which SHOULD obviously be much more heat and stress resistant since servers tend to run 100% duty cycle or so 24/7/365. I don't even need it to run at 3.0ghz. My current venice runs 300x9, 10hr stressprime stable at 1.38v and as long as the opteron can do that I'll be happy, think of the extra cache.

Re 144's: It sounds like another round will be coming out in the first week of November. Patience, young grasshoppers! Remember, just a week ago it was damn near impossible to find any model.

Re dual cores: I have only seen two that have been tested. With that small of a sample, I'm really not comfortable saying how well they are doing yet. The Monarch shipments should be arriving near the end of the week, so the people that jumped on them right away might have some results as soon as this weekend. I'll let you know as soon as I have a reasonably informed opinion.

Off topic: I am looking at getting a "best bang for the buck" pci-e video card. I don't want to clutter this thread, so if you have any recommendations as to models, could you PM me? Thanks.

I need to get a 144!!! I don't think there is a catch to these. They are server chips which SHOULD obviously be much more heat and stress resistant since servers tend to run 100% duty cycle or so 24/7/365. I don't even need it to run at 3.0ghz. My current venice runs 300x9, 10hr stressprime stable at 1.38v and as long as the opteron can do that I'll be happy, think of the extra cache.

AMD says that Opterons go through better testing that Athlon 64s.

The bigger cache is helping only a few applications, for most it is not cost-effective. And with the San Diego's it is known to limit the ability to use RAM at high RAM clocks.

So, I wouldn't pass on a good clocking Venice for an Opteron. If somebody buys new then the Opteron a good choice because current Venices clock badly and the CABYE Opterons clock good, even though the great ones are gone.

This is what Im interested in as My next upgrade will be dual. Anyone know whether we will see dual opteron 939s?

Lookie here:

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/m...8&AFFIL=TH&NR=1

Damn, expensive! $475.00 for only 1.8Ghz? That thing better clock like a son of a classy lady, or it ain't worth ..

The bigger cache is helping only a few applications, for most it is not cost-effective. And with the San Diego's it is known to limit the ability to use RAM at high RAM clocks.

Ever actually seen this? (the lower ram mhz because of L2) It didn't happen with my sandy, and I'll post my results soon to try and help gauge if the opty's have this issue. (this is opty issue, ix, no clutter)

Ever actually seen this? (the lower ram mhz because of L2) It didn't happen with my sandy, and I'll post my results soon to try and help gauge if the opty's have this issue. (this is opty issue, ix, no clutter)

No, the only 1024 KB cache A64s I have are socket 940 which you can't compare.

What I posted is what is commonly thrown around on the xtremesystem.org forums.

looks like my Opteron still has some OC headroom...........my dividers don't seem to be working properly..........on 2.9GHz run 166 divider will fail 32M at numerous settings i tried.......HOWEVER it completes fine at 183 divider....bloody strange

anyways here is an 8M run at 2934Mhz.....only divider which passes the test.......32M run failed on 10th loop

8m209mhz25437at2934mhz133divid.jpg