Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

I think I found one 144 opteron 939 the guy on the phone didnt speak english that well so as soon as my clothes get out of the dryer I am on my way down to check the stepping w00t hope this is a good one he wants 180$ plus tax a little spendy but every one online is out.

It turns out that the none english speaking guy seemed to think that buy me asking "hi do you have any opteron 144 socket 939 processors." that i really asked "hi do you have any athalon64 3200 939 processors?" I don't know how you get opteron mixed up with athalon. but oh well I found another store that said that i could get one for 140$ but he didn't know the stepping and said that i have to wait till monday when the warehouse opens up.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, but at 1.52 volts that thing is running almost 8* higher than my 3000 at the same voltages. His temp rises 14-18* at load over idle while all my venice chips only rise maybe 10-12 max.

I think you are victim of a (common?) misunderstanding.

You say that a chip overclock very well when it does so at low voltage, close to stock or 10% over.

However, the good overclockers, those that do it at low volts, draw more power at the same volts than a similar chip which is not a good overclocker.

In a way you could say the if you can bring a chip to draw a lot of power at low voltage you have a good chip. (there might be chips that have low power and low voltage).

Power consumption == heat, so that goes right on your temperatures.

And again, since it is the voltage, not the heat, that is doing the long-term damage, all this is good (as long as you stay within the thermal spec).

I've got a 146 coming. So heres to 3ghz on air.

From what I've seen of the dual opty's they haven't been too hot. 1 guy got 2.6 on a 165. Considering the price and the 9x multi I'd wait and see how awesome they are. Unless the price drops x2's may be better.

Hey, I just posted this question in another thread, but it will problably be better here...

P.S. You wouldn't happen to know anything about the opty 1xx mem controller off hand would you? It seems to me AMD doesn't like talking about the 1xx alot, in terms of releasing real information. I've been lookin' hard but I havn't found much. (real substance)

One thing I have always found interesting is that with A64 you have to switch to 2T command rate for 4 sticks of ram, you wouldn't put up with this for a server( or any network deal, or high-performace cluster (HPC) node, CAD, vid edit, etc) would you? Isn't 2T unaceptable, for the type of performance you need, given that the opty line is designed for the a-for-mentioned computing environment? I havn't had a chance to test if the 1xx can pull 1T with 4 sticks, but there has got to be more about that mem controller...

2T dropps memory bandwith. Don't you think this would be unacceptable in the opty's disigned market? Yeah, server where 4+ modules is common, but damn if I was running a hpc (high-performance cluster) I wouldn't let one of my nodes suffer through 2T. Do any of you have means to test if 4 mem sticks can run 1T on an opty?

I tried 4x512 last night at 1T (and again right now just to be sure), but no luck. Wouldn't post. However, the nF3 board doesn't do all that great with 1T anyways - max memtest stable is 278 for me with memory rated to 300. Others with this board have similar experiences w.r.t 1T, but you may have more luck with your nF4. When I up to Expert/Crossfire, well, that's a whole new story!