Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

A LDT/FSB ratio of 3x will have you for sure good until 333 FSB and usually a bit further :) your good, man

You should put the steppings of your Opteron in your sig, you certainly don't have to but I like to see others flying the Opteron flag :D Plus anyone with the same steppings could see your results and compare.

after all that it was already on 3x :sweat: i thought i left it on default but nvm lol

updated sig as the venice as gone and ive run some benchies :D

ive got the 144 cabge to 9x308 @ 1.6V sp2004 & prime stable :D

my 146 should be here wednesday so will post back with results asap :D

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone having a hell of a time passing prime? I can run 32m PI no problem. But when I try OCCT or Prime is fails instantly. My temps never go over 50c under full load. I have no problems gaming for however long I want. I tested voltages with a DMM and there's no fluctuation. 12v stays at 12.20 3.3 at 3.4 and 5.0 at 5.50. Turning up vcore doesn't help. Currently giving vcore 1.50 vdimm 3.1 ldt 1.3 chipset 1.6.
I have found that SuperPi is not nearly stressful enough on the CPU for prime stability, and that there is a fairly wide gap between my highest prime OC and SuperPi 32M OC. I stopped using it for CPU stability when I realized this. It is, however, pretty effective for telling me when my memory is too tight.

Some things to try:

1) I have been using 1.7V on chipset; never tried lower.

2) Try using a massive divider one time to eliminate any possible memory impacts.

3) Play around with MAL and Read Preamble. I have had luck with 8 and 5.5 respectively; others have had luck with 9 and 7/7.5. You can check my other memory settings in the first post.

4) You may just be at your wall given your cooling. Once I hit around 50C under load, volts don't seem to help me get higher either. I have been looking into watercooling...

5) You should think about taking off your IHS. This should at the very least bring your temps down, and possibly give you more overhead with your Vcore. For me, it was a no brainer.

Good luck. Let us know if you find something that helps.

Anyone having a hell of a time passing prime? I can run 32m PI no problem. But when I try OCCT or Prime is fails instantly. My temps never go over 50c under full load. I have no problems gaming for however long I want.

I like prime too, I hold it to a high value. But if you can game for hours crap prime.

Guest laydback
I have found that SuperPi is not nearly stressful enough on the CPU for prime stability, and that there is a fairly wide gap between my highest prime OC and SuperPi 32M OC. I stopped using it for CPU stability when I realized this. It is, however, pretty effective for telling me when my memory is too tight.

Some things to try:

1) I have been using 1.7V on chipset; never tried lower.

2) Try using a massive divider one time to eliminate any possible memory impacts.

3) Play around with MAL and Read Preamble. I have had luck with 8 and 5.5 respectively; others have had luck with 9 and 7/7.5. You can check my other memory settings in the first post.

4) You may just be at your wall given your cooling. Once I hit around 50C under load, volts don't seem to help me get higher either. I have been looking into watercooling...

5) You should think about taking off your IHS. This should at the very least bring your temps down, and possibly give you more overhead with your Vcore. For me, it was a no brainer.

Good luck. Let us know if you find something that helps.

I took my IHS off first thing. I am running watercooling but not extreme. My Zalman WC has always gotten the job done with my previous setup (Venice 3500) but I spose this chip runs alot hotter so it may be time for a cooling upgrade. I tried remounting my waterblock. I tried both 5.5/8 and 7.5/10 and yielded better performance with 5.5/8 with no loss of stability. I might try throwing on my Zalman CNPS7000-b Copper HSF and see if that makes any difference. Oh, and for some reason I can't run any dividers with my memory which I found was odd.

Guest laydback
ha, ok. what would you like changed? i did say "quick little", no? ;)

I apologize. I was quick to judge you without any need to be haste. Congrats.

Just ordered a 146 Opteron from www.pcmaniacs.com, I was going to buy a 144 but this place has 146s cheaper. The 144 would have cost me $256 AUD or so, the 146 has cost me $250 AUD. I have checked that the 146 is a socket 939, but it still suprises me, even with the recent price cuts. I have asked for a CABNE, but it won't matter much to me as long as its a socket 939.

A couple of questions for various peeps.

Silencer

Quote:

The CPU is 29-30c idle and 30-31c under load. The system is 28-29c. I have the bios set at 1.475v but the BIOS Reading as well as SmartGuardian/CPUz show 1.42-1.44v for the actual power level.

Just not possible to only go up 1c when loaded. Maybe you meant 40-41? Its still pretty good for stock sink if thats the case.

What kind of temps are you getting on the zalman res laydback? Like under prime or pi?