Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

I've seen that most of the users with Opties use TCCD memorychips as they can reach high frequencies....BUT... if I can get my BH5 dies run at 245MHz 2-2-2-5-1T and Opty (let's say) 9*310MHz ;) and use a proper divider, is there a significant bandwidth loss compared to e.g. running any TCCD memory 1:1 (loosed timings e.g: 2.5-3-3-7-1T) with Opty 9*310MHz?
There have been reports of difficulties using dividers (especially 180 and 166) with Opterons, which is probably why you have seen so many results with TCCD.

Regarding the bandwidth question, Angry has generated some data that strongly suggests that dividers do not hurt performance. Conventional wisdom is that AMD CPU's do not suffer under dividers the same way Intel CPU's do (although there are dissenting opinions of course).

If you do have problems with your memory and can afford them, I HIGHLY reccomend G.Skill FF's - I took them up to 315 1T last night without even having to try. There are also new bargain G.Skill Extreme Series that some have had great success with. Beyond that, look at Geil One, Patriot XBLK, OCZ Plat Rev. 2, etc.

One last thought - PC 4800 comes at a premium, but it would suck donkeys if your PC 3200/4000/4400 crapped out at 290 and your CPU doesn't have the multiplier to get your max clock.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an FYI: Best chance for a CABNE at this point is probably the 150. I can't imagine there are any left in the lower steppings. But it doesn't seem like too many 150's have been sold, so there are probably some more around.

Have you seen any positive results on any 150's? Cruised a few pages over in the XS thread and didn't see any...

same ? as above, and any in UK stores??

PS, how are results with OCZ 3200 duelplat

Also kinda od n00b question -- I after a CABNE or CABYE stepping but most stores just say "E4" for stepping, what is this?

Have you seen any positive results on any 150's? Cruised a few pages over in the XS thread and didn't see any...
Hey OldGuy, good to see you again! Not a lot of 150 results, but Pete_X has a monster CABNE - check out the second pic running 3GHz at stock!!! It seems that 148's are hitting 3GHz easier than 146's, and 146's easier than 144's, so the logical assumption is... If I hadn't scored my 148 CABNE (priming 3.1 on my new nF4 Ultra-D as we speak), I would have been all over the 150. Tested a 144 CABYE that went to about 2.8 prime stable, and I have a 146 (unknown stepping) coming tomorrow. Will let you know the stepping and how she does.

I after a CABNE or CABYE stepping but most stores just say "E4" for stepping, what is this?
The use of the word "stepping" in this thread is kind of a bastardization of the term. Technically, you are correct, the stepping is E4 (versus E3 or E6 for Venice, etc.). However, the second line of text printed on the IHS is commonly referred to as the week/stepping. There is probably a more accurate term, but stepping works well enough. Sorry for the confusion.

That should be a great chip! Same stepping/week as the initial batch of 148's - congrats amigo! Would you mind telling the others where you got it? I have a feeling there's some people out there who would like to know!

I got it from compumusic, who were willing to mail out which codes exactly they had in stock.

Packaging sucked, though.

At this time they only have CABYE, last I've seen. But it is a shop you can ask to look at the window in the box and tell you what's there.