Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DFI (and likely all motherboard makers) can not officially support Opterons on their enthusiast boards. This is because of their business relationship with AMD, who is marketing these chips to the server market for workstation boards, and workstation boards only. AMD says no, and enthusiast board makers have no choice but to comply. Failure to do so would jeopordize their future relationship with AMD, and hence their future potential to profit from a very lucrative market. So, until AMD gives the OK, official support ain't happenin.

Unofficial support (via these and other forums), however, abounds! I would not let that concern prevent you from taking the plunge if this is your only reservation.

I tried 4x512 last night at 1T (and again right now just to be sure), but no luck. Wouldn't post. However, the nF3 board doesn't do all that great with 1T anyways - max memtest stable is 278 for me with memory rated to 300. Others with this board have similar experiences w.r.t 1T, but you may have more luck with your nF4. When I up to Expert/Crossfire, well, that's a whole new story!

There goes that possibility. As far as I understand it the restriction is with the memory controller alone, so nf3 should be the same as nf4. Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I guess I'm gonna have to slang my Redlines when it comes time to upgrade to 2gb.

However, if anyone has as nf4 mobo out there and 4 sticks that they know work together, it wouldn't hurt to check if you can get 1T. And you would be a badass in my book.

P.S. Damn, ix, what are you waiting for lp UT nf4 ultra-d was $117.00 from the egg the last time I checked. Your putting those raptors to waste( your raid array). Hell maybe everything.

so does anywhere sell the 144 with a good oc stepping? or well even have it in stock? i have found the 146 but no 144 in stock, maybe someday LOL

hey guys

i read somewhere...i guess at xtremesystems that these optis were E4...

and how about overall performance...gaming and stuff that we do on a regular bases

any issues...?

i wonder why amd sells 939 chips with 1 m cache at this price.....

i find myself asking...whats the catch..if there is a catch...??!!

thnxs ;)

hey guys

i read somewhere...i guess at xtremesystems that these optis were E4...

and how about overall performance...gaming and stuff that we do on a regular bases

any issues...?

i wonder why amd sells 939 chips with 1 m cache at this price.....

i find myself asking...whats the catch..if there is a catch...??!!

thnxs ;)

seems too good to be true, i have been wanting a 144 since i read about them ahhh the cache and i dunno about the newere ones but older stepping at 3ghz on air, if i could hit 2.4ghz i'd ge in heaven with the cache, and plus the cool lil opteron sticker LOL