Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

I just got home with my 175. It's a CCBWE 0530TPMW. Going to get to work on it as soon as I finish eating. Will get back with some preliminary results tonight.

eating?!? what the hell....who'd eat at times like that :P get that CPU into your PC son and start cranking it HARD heheeh

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't overclock on coffee and cigarettes alone! Wait a minute...

Anyways, I think I'm going to be very happy with my little risk. Far from proof of stability, but some quick early shots below. Temps at around 43C (under load, obviously). IHS still on; didn't take it off immediately in case I wanted to sell it. Not sure that's going to be an issue anymore!

175early2859nz.png

Update - 32 minutes now, through 8K test. Probably crank it up some more in another half hour.

Can't overclock on coffee and cigarettes alone! Wait a minute...

Anyways, I think I'm going to be very happy with my little risk. Far from proof of stability, but some quick early shots below. Temps at around 43C (under load, obviously). IHS still on; didn't take it off immediately in case I wanted to sell it. Not sure that's going to be an issue anymore!

175early2859nz.png

Update - 32 minutes now, through 8K test. Probably crank it up some more in another half hour.

Yeah!!! :nod: thats what Ive been wanting to see.Um is that aircooled? 175s are supposed to be dropping in price I guess cause theres not a lot of them in vendors yet they are inflated. I cant wait Im ordering mine in a week prolly. Please keep us posted. oh yeah how come not 240 fsb and 12x multi?

Two observations about my 175. First, it is very sensitive to memory timings. Deviating from the optimized settings (704-2BT) cost me about an hour and a half tonight before I finally realized the problem and went back. Back on track now. Second, it does not appear to be handling high temperature well, frequently freezing up while priming when temps approach 55C. This may, however, be a result of poor scaling with voltage. Looks like the IHS is coming of tomorrow (purely in the name of science, of course). I'm going to prime 2900 overnight at 1.44 volts. More news tomorrow.

Two observations about my 175. First, it is very sensitive to memory timings. Deviating from the optimized settings (704-2BT) cost me about an hour and a half tonight before I finally realized the problem and went back. Back on track now. Second, it does not appear to be handling high temperature well, frequently freezing up while priming when temps approach 55C. This may, however, be a result of poor scaling with voltage. Looks like the IHS is coming of tomorrow (purely in the name of science, of course). I'm going to prime 2900 overnight at 1.44 volts. More news tomorrow.

pls share the memory timings you are talking about :D

Ix since you are reaching temps of 55c I would assume you are using air to cool the cpu. I always believed these would be much better ocers than x2's just by the very fact that they are opterons. Made for servers and for hard long useage with better silicon and better memory controllers, well they're suppose to be better memory controllers cause they can handle twice as much memory, but that can mean other side effects like timing probs with tighter memory.Please do post all the particulars especially mem timings. Im hoping for 3000+ with ocing but would be very happy to have a dually @ 2900 mghz.

Looks like we're good at 2.9GHz. I'm going to keep priming until I get home from work - little burn in can't hurt.

175early299wq.png

Here's my memory settings:

175earlya644pq.png

When I get home this evening, I'll let you know if it primed through the day, then I'll pop the IHS and shoot for 3000+. In the meantime, let me know if you guys want me to try anything else. My students have a Calculus Midterm next week, so I imagine I'm going to have to stay kind of late tutoring... I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Quick update on my 150 CABNE:

My HTT seams to get unstable around 290, and blue screens the box at @300, any way to improve this?

I will be pushing my memory up more tonight; 3dmark was done on stock 450/1200 vid card speeds; Check out that 1M time :)

size.jpg

Wow... thats a 939 chip? what kind of cooling is on that bad boy?

I think that there should be a Opteron Overclocking forum in here, it seems that this has (or will) out grow a single thread! (of course, make it all unofficial and all.)