Trouble booting XP

Hi guys,

I've been reading through threads on here for days and have not found anyone with the exact same problem, and those that are similar have not come to any conclusions, so apologies if this thread seems like a parrot to some!

The problem

Windows will only boot about 1 time in every 3 attempts. Boot fails at two different times: Either just as the XP logo is fading in, or a little later on before XP loads the drivers for sound, keyboard etc. There is no pattern to which of these times it reboots at. If the system decides to reboot when the windows logo is already loaded, a BSOD pops up for a fraction of a second before the PC reboots. I'm at work at so can't post the event log - this will follow later today. No similar BSOD is seen for the earlier reboot.

I have not overclocked anything as yet - I want to make sure everything is perfect before I start to potentially induce any further instabilities.

What I have tried so far

Priming (24hrs without problems)

Memtesting (24hrs with no errors)

New BIOS (623-3)

Latest chipset drivers from www.nvidia.com (6.66)

Fresh installation of XP

Increasing VDIMM voltage by 0.1v

Increasing Chipset voltage by 0.1v

Increasing special VCORE voltage by 104% and 110%

I had issues when I downloaded the latest nvidia chipset drivers where my PC would boot XP and then go into a reboot cycle. After some messing about I decided to reinstall XP and try the latest drivers on a fresh install (this worked and increased my benchmarks considerably).

I thought it'd had fixed when I increased the VDIMM, but this turned out not to be the case (no actual change in number of successful boots to number of unsuccessful boots). Same thing with the chipet voltage (thought it was fixed after about 3 successful boots in a row, but over the course of 10 boots the ratio was still same).

Windows installed without problems, but from the first boot it has these issues. The same copy of windows worked fine on my previous DFI nF3 250Gb 'board.

Any suggestions?

At the end of the day, my PC works fine (once I get to windows!) but I'd like to resolve this issue before I start the overclocking process.

Hello,

I've read through all the (lengthy) threads regarding Seasonic PSU's but my symptoms do not resemble those that have previously been linked to Seasonic PSU's. I am reasonably confident that this is not the problem as I have never had to jump start my PC etc, and generally it works perfectly apart from the 1 in 3 successful boots.

Thanks for you feedback tho :) I'll check the revision of my PSU this evening to see if that reveals any further information + I'll get the XP event log information about the BSODs.

this could be a number of things. first try the ram, run it in the other slots, just run one stick see if that makes any difference (unlikely but may). Also could be issues with raid setup that windows doesn't like maybe. whats system log say? also disable auto-reboot so you can see what it's saying:

edit regkey:

Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlCrashControl In the right pane, "AutoReboot" set the Value to 1. To disable set the value back to 0.

Thanks, will try those things this evening. I'm mostly keen on getting the event ID information and seeing if anyone recognises the problem.

I might backup all my data and reformat the whole RAID system and start from scratch in the process of elimination. I just find it strange that it boots sometimes, and when it does XP runs beautifully. It seems like an issue with the windows installation/windows drivers as it only happens when windows is fully installed, but can happen before I have had a chance to install anything else (chipset drviers, sound drivers, gfx drivers, applications etc). So in my way of thinking, it cannot be related to any of those things.

I'll update tonight or post comment on anyone elses suggestions during the day :)

Right, here are details from the Event Viewer:

Source: EventSystem

Category: (50)

Type: Error

Event ID: 4609

Description

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007041F from line 44 of d:qxp_slpcomcom1xsrceventstier1eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

Any ideas?

Try WinXp+Sp1. I had plenty probs trying to clean install from WinXp+Sp2 cd. Went back, fdisk'd then did a clean install from scratch with the Sp1 cd. All went fine from there on, just updated windows after the install. Assuming you've got both versions of winxp of course...