video card for dual monitor

jcy0001

hahahaha would never give anyone the finger :) but would never give the card too :P as for the 4 monitors i would love to have 4 :) use to have 2, upgraded to one bigger one which has been a bit inconvinient having been use to 2 monitors but finally saved up for a second 20"wide so dual here i come :) cant wait to upgrade to 3 hopefully save enough by early next year :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So w/ my 6600gt running dual moniters, supposedly if I get a second identical card, I would be able to run up to 4 monitors (w/o SLI)? Not sure what I'd do w/ that.. but its an interesting thought. lol

Yeh thats why the Ultra - D has 2 16x PCI-E slots but u cant use SLI

TBH SLI seems pointless, bf2 is like the most intensive game out there and u still dont need SLI for it

Depending on the GFX card u can have 2-4 moniters per card, if they are dual link DVI ports then its possible to have 2 on each DVI plug, but most only have 1 dual link, so ure looking at 3 per card ....

hey cool never knew that. which gfx card has dual link? any of hte 7800gt's? what other differences are there between the ultra-d and sli-dr? never know that there was a dual 16X pcix nf4 thats so cool hmmmm damit something new to spend on :(

hey cool never knew that. which gfx card has dual link? any of hte 7800gt's? what other differences are there between the ultra-d and sli-dr? never know that there was a dual 16X pcix nf4 thats so cool hmmmm damit something new to spend on :(

generally they arent 16x per slot

u get 16x on the top and 2x on the other (well on my SLI-DR)

but with dual cards it drops to 8x per slot

I think most GFX cards have dual link on atleast 1 of the DVI ports, which allows really big and insance screens ....

The ultra-D is like the same as the SLI-D / DR except it doesnt come with the SLI bridge (and ure not ment to be able to buy them)

And the bios doesnt support it

However if u pick up a bridge and hack the bios a little u can make ure Ultra-D SLI (however ure not ment to be able to)

Actually there is a max of only 20 PCIe lanes as I am to understand it.... When you use SLI it steps both cards down to 8x speed. 16x + 16x = 32x which can't happen. This is true for all NF4 chipsets as far as I know. Also there is a difference between PCIX and PCIe. PCIX is a 64bit pci slot used mainly in servers. NOT to be confused with PCIe, which is PCI express and has much higher bandwidth. This may help one day when looking for SCSI controllers and the like (they come in both forms of PCI).

Actually there is a max of only 20 PCIe lanes as I am to understand it.... When you use SLI it steps both cards down to 8x speed. 16x + 16x = 32x which can't happen. This is true for all NF4 chipsets as far as I know. Also there is a difference between PCIX and PCIe. PCIX is a 64bit pci slot used mainly in servers. NOT to be confused with PCIe, which is PCI express and has much higher bandwidth. This may help one day when looking for SCSI controllers and the like (they come in both forms of PCI).

except then due the nature of the chipset it is possible to add another

and thats why u get a couple of mobos with true dual 16x PCI-E slots ....

and yeh, on my SLI-DR there a 4x slot, a 1x slot and 2x 16x slots

in normal

the 4x has 1 lane, the 1x has 1 lane, the 16x has 16 lanes and the other 16x has 2 lanes

in dual card (sli or not)

1x is disabled, the 4x has 4 lanes, and each 16x has 8 lanes

except then due the nature of the chipset it is possible to add another

and thats why u get a couple of mobos with true dual 16x PCI-E slots ....

and yeh, on my SLI-DR there a 4x slot, a 1x slot and 2x 16x slots

in normal

the 4x has 1 lane, the 1x has 1 lane, the 16x has 16 lanes and the other 16x has 2 lanes

in dual card (sli or not)

1x is disabled, the 4x has 4 lanes, and each 16x has 8 lanes

Possible to add another???

Which mobos have 'true dual' 16x? Also I hear that there is not much of a performance difference between 8x vs 16x anyway so I guess it would'nt matter.

whoa that was a little confusing :( so you modded your sli-dr to run both pcie on X16? can the 7800gt take advantage of the 16X spead? im sure the 6600gt's cant :) since both pcie and agp versions perform similarly. how can you tell if your card has dual link? so we want pcie not pcix and thats what our board have? oh btw Spaminator how are you temps on your rig? what are you running on full load and idle? just currious

haha lol

The PCIX and PCIe thing was just an FYI, they don't make pcix video cards. PCIX is usually used for things like SCSI RAID or controller cards or gigabit NICs and the like. As for my temps I usually run about 29*C idle and no more than 34*C load for my CPU. My video card however can run very hot. usually high 30's-low 40's idle and up to low 60's load! This is a normal tempature range but still scares me a bit. My card runs 430mhz @1200mhz RAM. Keep in mind I'm still using shipping BIOS so these numbers may be a little off compared to the actual temps.

And I'm pretty sure no card at the moment can take full advantage of 16x speed. I did some reading on how PCIe performs compared to AGP8x and I think 8x PCIe performs better than 8x AGP anyway. But this was a long time ago and I can't remember for sure.

AFAIK, the dual 16X pci-e board is not out, i think. Right now you can only go 8 x 8 on the board you have, which is fine. The loss of performance from 16x > 8x is very minimal. It is definetly worth it for multiple screens of more than 2. But you would be better off with one 7800gt. BTW, what is the resolution of that dell 20" widescreen?

oh hehehe got me woried there for a bit :) damn i thot my rig was running cool yours is like way cooler hmmmm i think im doing something wrong :( im doing 32 idle and 40 -48 load and my vid card has 44 on one and 54 on the other hmmmm what you make of this and my rigs got lower specs than yours is this normal? my vids are running at stock settings. shipping bios? 310? can you run 2 different card on these things? i know its not posible for sli but can you do it for a multi monitor setup?

mklint000: just curious are those 2 19" the same hight as a 24" i heard somewher that the 17" are the same hight as the 20" is this true? i actually considered that option instead of a second 20"wide but couldnt find anyone that knew about it then never really got around to asking on these forum tho. Oh and hows the performance of the 6600gt with the 2 monitors? and does the x2 make a diff? i have a 3800 X2 that should be here in a 2 weeks.

sorry for the million and one questions hope you guys dont mind just been wondering all these things for a while now and you seem to be familiar with them thanks