Oh man 2nd UltraD chipset going byebye? argh!

Hey guys,

Yikes I don't know if its my bad luck or what.

About 7 months ago I got my first DFI UltraD mobo which ran flawlessly for around 3-4 months then started to get unstable and I ended up going from 285mhz cpu/mem to around 250.. that lasted for about 2 weeks then the board shutdown and never posted again. So I RMAed that board got a new one - using the same CPU and components.

Approx 3 months gone by since the last RMA i think and its exhibiting the same problems - reboots often. I had to drop it down to 240mhz mem and kept it up at 285 cpu. Reboots are less often. Crap I wonder if its because I use the 4V jumper .. I am using 2.8V for memory. Nothing out of the ordinary 1.3 LDT volts and 1.6 for chipset voltage... cpu at 1.425 x 1.13... nothing too hot ... but the board is going...

when I dropped it down to 250mem/285cpu i was able to prime it 10 hours for blended test and for max power dissip with no problems.. now a week later its getting worse and the blended prime test fails in a couple minutes...

im sure i can rma it agian but wow am i doing something wrong ?

Thanks for any help

Groggyoc

Crap I wonder if its because I use the 4V jumper .. I am using 2.8V for memory.
H*ll yes most likely since the addendums about the 4.0V jumper say do not use the jumper on the 4.0V side unless using 3.3volts on memory> or greater or harm may come or words to that effect and it has been hashed over back months ago in the forums here.

When the 4.0V jumper setting is powering the memory FROM the 5.0V rail of the power supply instead of the NORMAL 3.3volt rail the difference between that low 2.8volts you are using and the 4.0V possible must be thrown off somewhere. And between 2.8 volts ( NO need of 4V jumper at all ) and the 4.0V is huge and ineffecient and somewhere it is way hotter than it should have to be. You are probably killing the boards using 4.0V jumper wrongly.

RGone...

oh man I am an idiot :eek2:

I've restored my jumper back but too late the damage is done.. I can't even see 4x512 of ram anymore.. i see 1gig at most...

My retailer is giving me trouble with RMAing my board too.

Are there any other options for me RGone or does this mean I have to get another motherboard?

Thanks

Groggyoc