Sign in to follow this  
gokuxp

3800+ X2 Overclocks Great But.... Gaming Problems

Ok so I got this 3800+ X2, and loaded windows and played around with both cores got it rock stable @ 2500Mhz. When I load BF2 it's extremely choppy. So I do a little hunting on the forums and d/l the MS patch for X2's because my chip is a E4. That still didnt do anything for the choppiness of BF2. I load Half Life 2 and play a little DoD:S and it's choppy there too. :O( At this point I start trying the "run the game, then alt-tab out and make it run on one core" trick. Still nothing. I'm out of ideas and wanted to know if anyone else had any suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.

Did you also download and apply the AMD X2 CPU driver update for Windows XP?

The MS hotfix mainly just seems to fix issues with Cool n' Quiet and overclocking (from the notes).

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_ty...ties/amdcpu.exe

It makes a couple changes, including adjusting your BOOT.INI files. I had stuttering and a speed-hacking like effect until I installed these drivers.

I am also running the X2 3800 Processor. I am not having the problem you are with choppy playback though. I am currently playing Battlefield 2 and Black Hawk Down without any problems at all.

Are you sure it is not a video card or Video Driver issue.

Have you updated your video drivers recently?

I had a similiar problem a while back when I was using a 3500+ processor and it ended up being a driver issue for my 6800GT video card, all I did was uninstall the current driver and reinstall it.

I have a 4800+/ 2xEVGA KOs SLI and have encountered some problems with BF2 having performance dips. I know what you're talking about with the chug. It is a normal thing that happens in BF2. Everyone I know has that same problem.

I'm running same board, same BIOS and CPU version, and my BF2 is Liquidy smooth.

Have you tried running benchmarks to help identify symptoms?

Yes, it's choppy even at stock speeds and i've d/l the AMD driver. I'm running 3dmark05 and 03 with really nice scores. I've tried the Nvidia 81.84 beta drivers that are supposed to be optimized for dual core. One wierd thing that did happen was when I went old school and tried to run 3dMark01se... I was getting 400-550fps on everything and then on the high detail lobby scene i dropped to 9 or 10fps. I thought it was funny anyway. Does anyone think I should try a reload of windows?

If you're trying to run BF2 with everything at high, you haven't got enough system RAM. 2GB is required to run it smooth at maximum settings.