Testing a Mobo PSU question

I want to get a power supply that can handle just testing my machine's PSU to ensure it is not the reason it cannot post. I dont have any others that are powerful enough. Do I NEED to have one that is 400W to just test and get it to post or can I get by with something that is 350W?

don't understand the question really....you want a psu, that can test your system's psu?

anyway...you need atleast 480w, with a certain number of amps on each rail, and a native 24 pin. Chack this out.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ht=Power+Supply

If you're on a budget, or just want a good deal, I got mine for like 80 bucks, delivered, and it is on the recommended list.

I know the manual probably says 400w, but it needs updated. It really is 480.

Yep, what he said. To fill in the blank, you need a minimum of 26A on the 12V line. The enermax in your sig is on david hammock's "A" list for non SLI systems...

BTW, if you're asking if you can set it up by connecting a 350w psu until you get a better one...the answer is no. You might not have any problems getting going with a 350w, but then again you might set off your smoke detector. May as well just wait.

The enermax in your sig is on david hammock's "A" list for non SLI systems.../QUOTE]

Check my thread earlier for why I am trying to do this...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26220

All I want to do is get a test in to see if this PSU is bad or not. I simply cannot post and yet the manufacturer is saying when they got my entire machin in an RMA that it worked fine. I get it back and it is doign the same thing that it did before when I sent it to them. Seriously this has made me hate PC's. All I want to do is play games yet I have spent more time playing with jumpers and power supplies and mother boards. Is there a GOOD stable motherboard for a non-OC person that supports AMD? I simply cannot keep screwing around with this one and if Monarch Computer offers a comparable one I have to do it. I simply am tired of this crap.

Since it worked fine for monarch, maybe it's something else youve plugged into it, that's causing the problem, like your kb, mouse, moniter, etc. Or do you plug into a ups? Maybe the electric going in is fishy?

I'm not trying to sound like an butt, but if you're not into overclocking then maybe this wasn't the board for you. maybe a pre-built rig, like dell? I understand it should still atleast work, even more so at stock speeds, but atleast when a pre-built rig goes bad, you don't have to possibly rma every component trying to find the problem, etc. You call them up and tell them to come fix it.

Since it worked fine for monarch, maybe it's something else youve plugged into it, that's causing the problem, like your kb, mouse, moniter, etc. Or do you plug into a ups? Maybe the electric going in is fishy?

I'm not trying to sound like an butt, but if you're not into overclocking then maybe this wasn't the board for you. maybe a pre-built rig, like dell? I understand it should still atleast work, even more so at stock speeds, but atleast when a pre-built rig goes bad, you don't have to possibly rma every component trying to find the problem, etc. You call them up and tell them to come fix it.

Funn you should mention that. Monarch saw my posts in their forums and quoted me and asked me to contact them. I sent them a long email telling them I want them to send someone out. Screw them if I did not purchase the onsite service...this is ridiculous. :)

As for my dilema...well I used to by my own components and make machines. I am not a Dell boy just yet...although there is something to speak for mental health with their machines. I simply think thing should work out of the box. I worked for MONTHS to talk with different people to come up with the system spec for this machine. I had DFI boards before. So when it came to making this machine, on the cheap mind ya, I was able to do it because I had a very good list of sources for components and the mix of them worked. I figured that having someone who was at the time so highly rated as Monarch, they would configure it and make sure it worked. Guess not.

So I may just go to a Dell or Alienware in the end because the simple fact is I want a fast Puter..just not all the headaches that come with custom built machines.

I dont have any plugs but the power cord in. Nothing else. Tried the Insert press boot trick...but now I dont even have keyboard in. In almost all but that one shot, I have nothing plugged in. No UPS. Took the machine to work to ensure no bad electric. Different power cords. Nada.

I dont have any plugs but the power cord in. Nothing else.

You'll have to excuse me if I missed this somewhere in both your threads, but do you have all four power connections plugged in? I just saw you say cord and started to wonder.

Yep. That was something I did that Monarch did NOT do way back in August. Yea I checked that before I even tried the very first time I got the machine back on Friday. :) They are all in and I even reseated them twice. Tried to move the video card to the second PCI-E. No dice. I am coming up on the end of my 8 hour CMOS reset. When the Angels / Yanks game is over, I will check it again.

ravenclaw, you do have the battery removed and unplugged from the wall during this clear don't you? It may also help to boot with only 1 stick of ram in the furthest ornage slot (#2 i think)

Try this...http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...04&postcount=24

I have tried the above stuff. Removed battery and only one stick. Nada. Tried with two sticks. Nada.

I am going to go through this new list you sent very carefully to ensure I dont miss anything and do yet one last 8 hour reset.

ravenclaw, you do have the battery removed and unplugged from the wall during this clear don't you? It may also help to boot with only 1 stick of ram in the furthest ornage slot (#2 i think)

Try this...http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...04&postcount=24

Tried it...no go. I am going to get Monarch to send someone down. This is just beyond anything I have seen.