New Build: Please Help!!!

Ok....so this be my 2nd build..first build was good but i never OC it.

It was an Asus so it was a piece of cake to build

but DFI's are more complex as i have learned and i have a few simple questions hopefully you guys can help me answer (ive read all the stickies and stuff and searched, but still kinda confused)

1. Most Importent: there are so many bios..which one should I use? I wont be overclocking for the first few days...but when i recieve my XP-90c, i will discard the stock HS and overclock then, which is about 4 days away. please give me a specific bios...because there is really alot!!!

Also, I prefer to have an approved one, not a beta or modded

2. do i really need thermal paste? that artic silver thing? Im not going to crazy overclock but will my computer run w/o it? or i might just use the once that comes with the XP-90c

3. I heard tha I need to install something with a floopy first to use SATA II?? even before i install windows? i searched this many times but never found answer...always someone just mention it and never tells how to do it or what to do

4. i have semi-old Ultra ATA 133's lying around (2x 160gb segate barracuda)...can i add those in as like secondary HDDs?? i will boot from the SATA II drive and use the UATA's as data storage drives.

It would really be appretiated if you guys could help me because I am typing this from a public computer and have no computer at home. the Asus died, so got this one, and need it up and running fast!!!

Thanks guys

1. Most Importent: there are so many bios..which one should I use? I wont be overclocking for the first few days...but when i recieve my XP-90c, i will discard the stock HS and overclock then, which is about 4 days away. please give me a specific bios...because there is really alot!!!

Also, I prefer to have an approved one, not a beta or modded

Offical Bios 623 diamond flash

2. do i really need thermal paste? that artic silver thing? Im not going to crazy overclock but will my computer run w/o it? or i might just use the once that comes with the XP-90c

The one that comes with the XP 90 will work just make sure you use thermal paste as without will probably burn the CPU

3. I heard tha I need to install something with a floopy first to use SATA II?? even before i install windows? i searched this many times but never found answer...always someone just mention it and never tells how to do it or what to do

If you are not using a raid with two equal drives the you don't need the floppy

4. i have semi-old Ultra ATA 133's lying around (2x 160gb segate barracuda)...can i add those in as like secondary HDDs?? i will boot from the SATA II drive and use the UATA's as data storage drives.

As long as the Sata has boot priority in the bios it will be fine.

Here is a link to the official bios. DFI's site is down right now hopefully tomorrow it will be back up.

download this file N4D623-3.exe

How to flash BIOS with Diamond Flash Image?

Diamond Flash Image is unique feature developed by DFI to facilitate users flashing BIOS. User does not have to run the complicated procedures, but just flash the BIOS as an easy job.

1. Prepare one piece of clean floppy diskette.

2. Run the BIOS file from website directly or copy it to HDD to run.

3. It will image to floppy disk drive "A" including flash utility, BIOS file along with instruction and create booting program automatically.

4. Boot up the system from FDD. It will automatically flash the BIOS.

5. Press "F1" as instructed when completing the flashing.

6. Run "Load Optimized Defaults" or "Load Setup Defaults" in BIOS after completing the BIOS flashing.

Personally, I'd install windows onto the SATA drive with only that attached, ie don't connect the UATA drives yet. Windows has issues if you remove HDD's that it had when u installed it. You can connect them once windows is up and running and it will detect them no probs, and you should be able to take them out if your ever need to as well.

thanks guys for the answers, espcially neoforcer!!

but i have 1 more question on what he said about flashing bios

how early can i do this.... should i just flash it right when i boot for the first time with a floopy disc?

ie:

1. Install CPU, Ram, PSU, etc.

2. Install HDD and optical drives and floopy

3. Boot. (i guess first boot have to make it boot from floopy from bios)

4. reboot

5. Flash bios

6. Install windows

7. blaa blaa blaa

should i do it like that?

And another question, do i really need to modify the Run "Load Optimized Defaults" or "Load Setup Defaults" in BIOS after completing the BIOS flashing, if im not overclocking yet?

thanks guys for your patience

i flash the bios only when it is stable in memtest. I know memtest is not a very good test to check for stability, but I run it for at least 25 loops in test number 5 and 8.

If everything is ok, then flash.

you should always Load Optimized Defaults after every bios flash.

After bios flash, you should first do a proper cmos clear. After the clear, go into your bios and Load Optimized Default and save and exit. Then go back into the bios and change whats necessary.

Then continue to Windows

Use this thread for a build guide...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6615

thanks guys for the answers, espcially neoforcer!!

but i have 1 more question on what he said about flashing bios

how early can i do this.... should i just flash it right when i boot for the first time with a floopy disc?

ie:

1. Install CPU, Ram, PSU, etc.

2. Install HDD and optical drives and floopy

3. Boot. (i guess first boot have to make it boot from floopy from bios)

4. reboot

5. Flash bios

6. Install windows

7. blaa blaa blaa

should i do it like that?

And another question, do i really need to modify the Run "Load Optimized Defaults" or "Load Setup Defaults" in BIOS after completing the BIOS flashing, if im not overclocking yet?

thanks guys for your patience