Broken board?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats good info....i realize, now, a mistake i was making whilst oc-ing. Bumping the ram to 3.2 worked but it wasnt stable as long as it used to be, at stock voltage. OCZ will honor a RMA if it only went to 3.3v right? I heard that they go to 3.5 b4 they no longer honnor the warranty. Is that true for all OCZ RAM? Mine is ddr600 platinum 2x512 dual-channel.

You really should check the specs on your ram before you go pumping so much voltage into them. You're lucky all you fried was the ram.

BTW, your location is "our damn business". It's a forum rule that it has to be filled in. This site is here to help you, but if you don't follow the rules you're going to piss of the mods, and you don't wanna do that. Why is it a big deal to say what country you're in anyway?

There, i fixed it.

How do they even know what voltages made it die? Like for instance, when i had that jumper set to the high end, i only had it on 3.3v for a little bit and i got a tad edgy about it so i turned it back down...but i kept the jumper in that possition*doh!*, and from what i read b4, a voltage spike came through and did its damage. So, yeah i had it up to 3.3v, but that is not when it died. It actually fried at 2.8v, when i set everything to default in the BIOS. So would i still be qualified for a RMA? That would be BS if they didnt honnor it when it dies at the default voltage.

had it on 3.3v for a little bit and i got a tad edgy about it so i turned it back down...but i kept the jumper in that possition*doh!*,

I guess you know this now.. but if your running 3.2 and below on vdimm your not supposed to leave the jumper on the 4v side.. thats bad in its own..

That would be BS if they dont honor it when it dies at the default voltage.
It wouldnt be BS .. you didnt read up enough on the ram you purchased.. Dont take that the wrong way but im just telling it the way I see it.. OCZ is usually pretty good with warranty .. So all you can do is explian it to them and see if they can do anything..

Failure is not always instantaneous.

A good zap can take days to manifest its self.

It's just like a lightning strike on a building. It might blow things up right away but you'll still lose hardware six weeks later from the same event.

There, i fixed it.

How do they even know what voltages made it die? Like for instance, when i had that jumper set to the high end, i only had it on 3.3v for a little bit and i got a tad edgy about it so i turned it back down...but i kept the jumper in that possition*doh!*, and from what i read b4, a voltage spike came through and did its damage. So, yeah i had it up to 3.3v, but that is not when it died. It actually fried at 2.8v, when i set everything to default in the BIOS. So would i still be qualified for a RMA? That would be BS if they didnt honnor it when it dies at the default voltage.

Yeah, i know that now. But they would be pretty forgiving i think. I asked around and everyone i talked to said that OCZ is real good on the warranty. As far as loosing hardware further down the road...i hope i dont. Are you saying that the ram could have fried when it was in the 3.3v for a few minutes and then not actually show itself as being fried intill a day later? Will DFI correct the jumper issue, or is it not really a concern as most dont even go over 3.2v?

@Anonymous1

Yup! It never fails to amaze me how much damage a rig can take and keep on working for a while.

I had a lawfirm get a direct lightning strike. The server, switch and router along with about half the network cards died immediately. Over the next month or so almost all the remaining network cards failed one at a time. A couple of the computers also failed almost two months later.

I never let the insurance adjuster close the file for at least two months so we can wait for the failures.

What do you think my odds are at getting an RMA on this $230 Ram? It did actually die at 2.8v, and seeing as how the mem is what took the direct hit...i wouldnt think that it would take long at all(only a couple of mil seconds) for the system to recognize fried RAM.