Sign in to follow this  
nVidiaGuru

Max Voltage for X2 Manchester

I tired a few searches here and at hardocp but couldnt find a definite answer for my question. When should I start to worry about the voltage on my manchester?

Im running it at 1.65v right now and i get an idle temp of 38 and load temp of 48-49 on watercooling. If it lasts me for 3 years at 1.65v ill be extactic, my concern is I dont want to have a dead chip here in a few weeks/months.

what are you guys opinions? :)

I've only got one thought, as I'm not familiar with that processor in particular. But 1.65 seems high for the oc your getting, I know I've seen some with higher overclocks at lower voltages. You sure you need it that high?

have you tried seeing if less voltage is still stable? i think stock for that chip is 1.35, so 1.65 is a lot... but if your temps are fine (a little warmer than i would want, but they look OK) then i dont think it matters too much

I believe its way to high, mine is high as it is in 1.4 * 110%, try lowering it, then prime it, You oc is high, and makes sense, but I wouldn't go above 1.6, back down to 1.6 and see if you can get away with it, then 110% etc 1.65 is acceptable but again a tad to high.

Guest thespin

If you are, don't go by your water temp or an external probe on the processor/water block. Download MBM5 (there are setup DFI files somewhere on this forum) and use that or similar software

I've just begun the process of overclocking my X2 4400+ and I encountered something interesting. If I leave the CPU and memory voltages and multipliers at their automatic defaults and ONLY use the SPECIAL VID CONTROL to adjust the voltage, I get the following results with HTT set to 4x--

at +104% I can clock at 222FSB (max voltage is 1.31)

at +110% I can clock at 230FSB (max voltage is 1.41)

This also allows Cool'n'Quiet to remain enabled without stability issues and keeps the CPU cool during normal usage. For now I'm leaving the setting at +104% due to heat issues on load.

I know these are modest overclocks, but has anyone tried this method?

IMO, once you have to add tons of voltage to become stable at a slightly higher speed, you are pushing your chip closer to its grave.

My venice runs 2.4 GHz at 1.475v. 0.475v, for an extra 600 MHz. to get to 2.5 GHz, requires I think 1.550, or 1.575, not sure. I know 9x280 required 1.625, since it failed at 1.600v. To get stable at 2.6 GHz, I need 1.675-1.7v.

Thus, I run it at 2.4 GHz, and keep in mind that I went from the crappy venice to the good venice without paying for it, and that I want it to last for more than two months when I think to myself "hey maybe this can do 2.6 if I cool it well enough at 1.675v.." Once the law of diminishing returns with voltage & clock speed becomes true, I think you should clock it down.

I also found with my x2 3800+ that to achieve 2.7ghz I had to really jack up the voltage, and one of the cores still crapped out on Prime95 after 17 mins. The other one seemed fine though....

I wasn't really comfortable with running 1.6v into my chip even though the temp with air cooling was still barely pushing 40c. I ended up moving back down to 2.5ghz at 1.54v and it was pretty stable at that point. I really only started playing with it yesterday, and with the low end PSU and the fact that I am going to be swapping out the RAM this week as well, I really didn't do much to try to do much else other than see what clock I could hit with what I had at the time. With some tweaking and the better PSU I am hoping to be able to maintain 2.7 with a decent load temp and not throwing too much juice into the chip.

I am running a decently crappy PSU so I am not sure how much that had to do with everything, but I will continue testing when my new PSU (Powerstream 520) arrives this week. Maybe the Manchester core chips need a lot of power to hit 2.7, and the 2.7+ overclocks people are talking about are on the Toledo cores... I guess as more people post results and data, we might have a better idea. I (we) may also just have a chip that doesn't lend itself to high overclocks.

--Dwayne

Thanks a ton for the input guys, ill definitly give the special vid control only a try. I left prime running while i took a trip to astros game (which was bad f'in a$$ btw) it errored after 6 1/2 hrs so i think i can back off the voltage a bit. Ive only had this chip for a day now so theres still tweaking to be done.

edit** also those temps are from mbm with the setup files from the forum

once again thanks for the input, and ill let ya know if the special vid control makes any difference for me

its nice to see the x2 3800 OC community is building

im running mines at @ 251x10 , 1.52V and im scared it push it any further

I also get mixed feelings and reactions about voltage settings....

some ppl sav as long as your temps are OK and not substantially increasing over 55C then your safe up to 1.7

-but then-

some ppl say when your voltages are over a substantial amount and your increasing the voltage JUST to get the system stable from a recent OC that proved not to be stable at the lesser voltage is JUST not good for your system. It'll decrease the lifespan by nearly 40-70% depending on the voltage rating.

so well I don't know which 1 to believe but the second one makes sense.

you have to consider that even if it halved the lifetime, you are still looking at 5yrs+... and in 5yrs, it isnt going to be all that good, making it worth the OC while it lasted

hmm, new button graphics

ok heres a little update, with the 704 bios (what i used first) it was only stable at 2.7ghz with 1.65v....as far as the special vid control it did not help at all and was infact less stable.

Today i tried the 623-2 modded by OCZ tony and its stable at 2.7ghz at 1.6v which dropped my load temps to 45c. Also with this bios the special vid control is more stable.

i guess later on this week ill be trying the other verisons of 623bios to see if i can get my ram to a higher oc