Doing my part for energy conservation (merged environmental threads)

Angry_Games

well...my brother and I discussed for a couple months about getting the fluorescent bulbs to replace regular incandescent bulbs in all of our lights around the house.

Finally, we broke down and spent about $30 for 2 big packages of these lights, and replaced every single light in the house except the front porch light, which gets turned on for maybe 10 minutes per year (and will get replaced anyway I'm sure since we have a couple extra bulbs).

I figure...since I have a zillion computers on all the time, and we always have lights on somewhere in the house, it was time to see what the difference in both light quality and our electric bill would be switching every light to energy efficient fluorescents.

here's some quick easy links as to why these bulbs are a better choice (and after using them for two weeks, we actually like the light they give off)

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question236.htm

http://www.homeenergy.org/consumerinfo/lighting/

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US...dgjj.0&MID=9876

now that bulb above is not the exact ones we bought...we bought 10-packs of them for about $17 each I think...and if I recall, they were on sale for a good price which is why we nabbed 2 10-packs.

Compact fluorescent light bulbs use about 1/4 the energy of regular incandescent bulbs to produce the same number or more lumens. They also last about ten times longer than regular bulbs. Some compact fluorescents are warranted for eight years. Compact fluorescents cost a bit more initially, but the long-term savings more than offset the initial difference in price. A compact fluorescent that gives the same amount of light as a 100-watt regular bulb can save you over $80 over the life of the bulb.

anyway, I am not a tree-hugger, but I do care that my electric bill is sorta spendy, as well as I feel it is important to do what I can to reduce my own household's personal strain on our energy grid.

It may not be much, and it damn sure won't save the world, but I think it goes something like 'if everyone in America replaced just one heavily-used incandescent bulb with a fluorescent bulb, it would save xxx in energy consumption per year'

News brief - Change a bulb, save the environment, state says

October 05. 2005 8:05AM

Change a bulb, save the environment, state says

If one incandescent light bulb in every household in New Hampshire were swapped for an energy-saving compact fluorescent bulb, the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions would be equal to taking 4,800 cars off the road.

That's the motivation behind the state's campaign this week to get people to commit to changing bulbs, said Kathy Brockett, outreach supervisor for the Air Resources Division of the Department of Environmental Services.

Gov. John Lynch declared today "Change a Light, Change the World Day,"joining New Hampshire in the federal campaign.

Rocky's Ace Hardware in Concord will be selling Energy Star bulbs, which use one-third less energy than standard bulbs, at the Department of Transportation from 9 to 11 a.m. and at the Department of Environmental Services from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Both offices are on Hazen Drive.

---ADVERTISEMENT---

Participants can sign a pledge to change their bulbs at http://www.energystar.gov/changealight.

- Chelsea Conaboy

go check out the link:

http://www.energystar.gov/changealight

and sign up (you can use a fake address just use your correct zip code if you are a tinfoil-hatter who worries signing up on a gov't list will make the CIA try to brainwash you hahaha)

I think if we can spread the word about this...maybe we can get more people interested. Like I said, it won't save the world (humans are just naturally destructive), but it might help just a little ;)

ps: here's a bulb that has been burning since 1901!

http://www.energyquest.ca.gov/time_machine..._lightbulb.html

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ps: here's a bulb that has been burning since 1901!

Must be from all the good smoke in it right? :D

My roomates and I finally made the switch the other day as well, we've got 7 computers on all the time (for the 6 of us...) 2 TV's and at least a dozen lights on as well, should be interesting to see the difference it makes.

The ones on a pallet that come in a 6 pack from Home Depot are great... inexpensive, nice and bright, instant on, and none of the damn buzzing that some of the real cheap ones do.

-pickles

yep those are the ones we bought (my brother says, he bought them, i just changed them out).

they were on sale for good price. I tried to find them at homedepot.com but couldnt find the pack anywhere =/

Must be from all the good smoke in it right? :D
lol

Another great reason to switch from convenional bulbs is that they last so much longer! Its a pain when I switch on the light and POP! Then I have to search in the closet for another one and put it on in the dark. Another reason is because if you live in a hot place like florida or whatever It saves energy in 2 ways first they don't make as much heat second they don't take as much energy. :)

Yup i have those in all my rooms too. We can get them for free over here in the UK through a Government backed energy conservation scheme. I got 18 for free in total.

jeez you'd think that with about 300,000,000 americans...they'd think to do the same thing (since we are the biggest wasters of energy in the world...we use it and abuse it like it is free)