New Ram Not Recognized

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I leave this disabled "The 4GB issue, you need to set the PCI MMIO setting to enabled on the Advanced Chipset page" The post test reads 3.4 gig and my computer reads 3.25gig. If I enable it .. Post reads 4 gig but my computer reads 3 gig.

PCPitstop and CPUZ report 4 gig when run in windows with this enabled.

So I'm confused.

Before I flashed the BIOS from 3.16 to 6/23/05 it wouldn't recognise the extra ram at all.

So I'm thinking it's either the CPU (winchester core) or Motherboard BIOS

So is there another forum that might have some GOOD advice?

Also is there a way to report this to the moderator ?

Thanks

So I'm thinking it's either the CPU (winchester core) or Motherboard BIOS

Your question has already been answered a couple of times... Sharp told you that the winchester memory controller doesn't support four double sided dimms, and a number of people have tried to tell you that it's xp that causing your other issues. It's not the bios. You said yourself that it shows four gigs at post, but not in windows. I'm not sure what you're hoping to hear from somebody on here, but you've already gotten all the GOOD advice that you're going to. Either get a new cpu or take it up with microsoft...

If you see 4GB when posting and CPUZ and PCPitstop tell you that there are 4GB then I would not worry about what windows tells you. YOu might try http://support.microsoft.com

If 3 out of 4 agree on something, then the 4th thing probably is the problem.

Looks like I'm still confused .. PcPitstop is now saying:

" AMD #10ff0, 2200 MHz

Memory 3071MB RAM

Disk Drives C, D

Video Sapphire RADEON X800

Internet MSIE 6.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322

Windows Windows XP SP2"

Here is CPUZ Dump

Your question has already been answered a couple of times... Sharp told you that the winchester memory controller doesn't support four double sided dimms, and a number of people have tried to tell you that it's xp that causing your other issues. It's not the bios. You said yourself that it shows four gigs at post, but not in windows. I'm not sure what you're hoping to hear from somebody on here, but you've already gotten all the GOOD advice that you're going to. Either get a new cpu or take it up with microsoft...

Ok .. Thanks anyway .. But I'm not buying it. I can understand the winchester issue but not the BIOS when it keeps changing when I change settings and upgrading it.

If windows can't recognise 4 gig then why is it reading 3.25 gig sometimes and 3 gig the others.

Somthing is up. But I'll figure it out.

Thanks for your paintance

Description Results

RAM installed 4096 MB

Windows RAM 3071 MB

Total RAM slots 4

Available RAM slots 0

Max RAM module size 4096 MB

Memory Type 1024+1024+1024+1024;DIMM,Unknown,;T16

Speed Rating 8321 MB/s (100% of 490 similar)

Memory Tip

On virtually any system, memory is the best bang-for-the-buck upgrade, especially if you currently have 256MB or less. Installing memory is a snap, it just works and your PC is faster. PC World has put together a step-by-step guide if you need help.

With prices so low lately I've purchased a lot of memory, and all of it has been from Crucial. Their prices beat the competition and they currently have free shipping.

-- Rob Cheng, CEO, PC PitstopSpeed rating is measured in megabytes per second. The percentage indicates the performance of this system compared to systems in our database with a similar CPU and clock speed; the number of similar systems is also shown. For example, a score of 50% would indicate this system had half the performance of comparable systems; 200% would indicate twice the performance. A "normal" number is 100% plus or minus about 15%.

The System Management BIOS is reporting that there is 4096 MB of RAM, but Windows reports that 3071 MB is available. The most common reason for this discrepancy is that your system uses some system RAM for the video graphics card or BIOS functions. This case is common in highly-integrated PCs with video graphics built into the system board, and does not require any changes on your part.

There is a large discrepancy between the memory reported by the BIOS versus Windows. Often, this indicates a System Management BIOS (SMBIOS) problem and you may be able to fix it with a BIOS upgrade available from the vendor. SMBIOS results can be incorrect even if the power-on self test (POST) detects all of your installed RAM. For more insight into what your SMBIOS reports and why it can be wrong, download and run our SMBIOS reporting tools.

How does incorrect SMBIOS affect my system?

Usually, it has no impact on functionality or performance. SMBIOS data is intended for use by inventory and diagnostic programs. Microsoft Windows does not depend on SMBIOS information to be able to run properly. However, incorrect SMBIOS data can be a sign that the system maker did not do some basic quality control. If they did not get the SMBIOS data right, there is certainly a chance that they made other mistakes.

How can I see all the SMBIOS data?

PC Pitstop has a utility that will dump out all the information to a text file. To interpret the data you will need a copy of the SMBIOS specification (see below). You can download our utility at ftp://ftp.pcpitstop.com/pcpbios.zip.

Can I fix problems with incorrect SMBIOS data?

BIOS and system makers have utilities that can write to the SMBIOS data areas, but they do not usually make them available to end users. Sometimes the problems with SMBIOS are fixed through BIOS updates that will be made available by your system vendor or the manufacturer of the system board. If you cannot get a copy of the vendor's SMBIOS utility and a BIOS reflash does not solve the problem, then you will have to live with the data being wrong.

Where can I find out more about SMBIOS?

SMBIOS (also known as the DMI BIOS) is part of the work of the Distributed Management Task Force (DMTF). The SMBIOS specification is available on their web site at http://www.dmtf.org/standards/bios.php.

Gonna post this all over the net till I get a answer. :shake:

6 forums and Microsoft so far and I've just begun.

Thanks

Calling out the big gun's

http://forums.techguy.org/t407555.html

System: http://anandtech.com/mysystemrig.aspx?rigid=30284

Mother: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...70&page=1&pp=15

ANy thoughts before I request a refund?

Thanks

Got this in my email today.

I found the cure !!!

Don't use Service Pack 2.

We did a test last night, one of the guys (my supervisor) doesn't have a slipstreamed SP2 install, so when he installs windows its SP1....he sets the PAE switch and boom....4GB in windows. Removed the PAE and boom...2.75 or 3GB.

Now....he downloaded and installed SP2.....no matter what...2.75GB in the computer Properties.

So do some searching at Microsoft for a work around, or some kind of confirmation that even with SP2....all 4GB is being used for Apps.

Now what .. There must be a way around this. Any Microsoft links that may help?

Thanks