Too Much Money

AxcesDenyed

Ok...a few days ago my brother-in-law was asking for some help with his computer. It was running entirely too slow. its a compaq with around 800mhz(cant remember exactly) and 128mb of ram, running xp. it takes almost 10 minutes to completely boot. no im not exaggerating. thats slower than my 500mhz with xp on it. hes got tons of stuff that starts up automatically. and ive told him before that will really slow down the computer. i got tired of telling not to run too many things at once, so i told him that his best bet is to buy a stick of 512mb. so he buys one today and puts in it, then boots it. it tells him that it doesnt recognize his cd-rom and something is wrong with the network card and some other problems with it.(this is just what i was told over the phone by my wife during my lunch break.) normally when my in-laws have computer problems i come look at it, and i dont mind. but he just got online with his laptop and ordered him a new computer. oh well, i guess he needed a new one anyways but he should have built one.

well, i guess i should be grateful. when his new computer comes in, hes giving me the old one. if i cant fix it, i gonna just take some of the parts out and put them in mine.

dude, thats awesome! Free server!

If that "thing" :D is too slow to boot ,have you checked what's loading at boot up?

All those programs in the lower right corner in the task bar,do you really need them to start at boot up? if not taking some of that out of the way might help a lot.

press start,execute, type in the line"msconfig" (w/o the quotes) and OK then the last tab is where everything starts at boot up.

Some of those have to stay, but do you really need lets say winamp or msn mgr, adobe,kazaa etc,these programs take your memory for no reason and time to boot,they work as well when standing by on your desk waiting to be loaded.

If you have a ton of little icons on the right of the task bar that's where your "slow boot"problem lies ;)