Win64?

DeFessler

stay away from Windows64

it is an immature, buggy, OS without any native 64-bit software to run on it, many 32-bit titles will not run on it or will run but will give you problems, etc

plus we dont support Win64 at this time.

stick to 32-bit XP

Completely wrong! x64 Its working very very well and i play alot of games too! I need the 64bit for my scientific project and use 64bit compiler.

Runnig x64 for 3 month now and really impressed!

More stable than 32bit XP! Absolute no driver problems besides a few scanners/printers taht won't work

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soundx98, What kind of video encoding performance are we talking with Xp64...?

dr_bowtie - always with the good questions man.

I Should have posted some type of data to back up my statement.

not sure what kind of test or comparison to make but I'll get to work on it after some other projects get finished. All I can tell you is it generally seems to take about 30% less time under x64. Heck, may be the main reason I use it.

Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow!

DeepGan7 - you'd have to admit that Angry_Games statement made a lot of sense when it was officially released back in April. May want to swing on by www.planetAMD64.com and chat with the rest of us x64 lovers.

Its not Windows :-)

Are you overclocked Cyberz?

I play all kind of games without any issues whatsoever!

Farcry

HL2

COD2

CS:Source

SC4

OC is also completely stable!

maybe not but i cant find the source..

no, no OC. everything is default

I have found that 64bit is perfect true some drivers cannot be found but give it time i upgraded from XP Home to Pro 64 and I have noticed a higher score in 3DMark 05 and pretty much stable I have a highly OC'ed 64 3200+ and It works great but there is one problem the Smart-Fan utility that came with my DFI LanParty NF4-Ultra d does not read temperatures for anything and the wrong voltages help would be appreciated but in time i think drivers will be out.

-Psorian

Guest thespin
My question is, where do I go to get reliable drivers? From each component manufacturer, or is there some sort of clearinghouse for them, kind of like windrivers.com used to be?

Remember you need 64-bit drivers for your components including the motherboard and RAID. Windows x64 will have a lot of the common ones on the x64 install disk. But I would ENSURE that I can find all such drivers for every component I am absolutely going to need, download them, and save both the download and the expanded drivers to a CD (RAID to floppy). If you can't find them then don't ...

I've been dual booting between XP Pro and XP x64 since I built this system in April. I immediately noticed a clear difference between the two. XP x64 just felt more solid, windows installed in half the time and loads much quicker and has been totally stable at the same crappy o'c (corsair) on both systems. I haven't seen any games that look worse on 64 bit, only better, and 64 bit FarCry looks and feels amazing. I run all games on highest settings most of the time and rarely see any lag, yea, with a 6600gt even. The only reason I was reluctant to go all x64 until now were a few minor things like anti-virus and a Nostromo N-52 game controller, that does'nt look like they're gonna come up with 64 bit drivers for. Anyway, a couple of days ago I got tired of dual booting and set up x64 on a raid 0. I briefly set up XP on a raid 0 and it was good, but nothing like 64 bit. Everything just pops. Hd Tach, Atto bench, SiSoft Sandra are all significantly better. Avast anti-virus is actually very good for free. Windows Vista may hurt support for x64, but either way 64 bit is the way to go.

well I am working on a bunch of things right now but I'll try and get something done. Not quite sure I understand the parameters/tests you are looking for though.

Seems like there would be other factors involved due to differences between our rigs. And aren't we looking for a rip and encode to HDD? or are we testing DVD-ROM performance here.

Wouldn't it make more sense to test on my rig in both 32 and x64 and you do the same on yours so we can rule out any differences. I'm sure there are other guys dual booting that could contribute information as well. We're looking for the percentage difference between the two OSes correct?

That sound good to me....yes

I am looking to see how much time I could save if I went A64 and X64....if any....

I don't use the pc's time...because it's wrong ....but i use my timer....I did the full movie I mentioned in 13 minutes done.... encoded to the H/D then burned to cd....start to finish

Edit: I guess I better list what I used and how I did it...

I put the movie in the rom (IDE 1)

Blank in burner (IDE 2)

Used dvd shrink to encode (ripped to H/D and auto burn with nero @ 16x's)

4 clicks....thats all