Sign in to follow this  
lethi

Something wrong with my PWM IC? And Vcore?

Hi guys:

Been playing around with my system for couple weeks now, and I noticed that my PWM IC temp is very high. W/O a 120mm fan blowing over the MOSFETs they are above 70oC when running Prime95 on both of the cores of my CPU... (the cpu temperature is at most 52oC when I am priming @1.45V x 110%)

Mind you I have not even put the mobo into a case yet... Right now I am just testing the components out (turns out I need to RMA my RAM...)

After some searching, I found that most people get temp in 50s oC for PWM IC under full load. Do I need to replace the heat sink on those MOSFETs or something? It doesn't seem like they are doing a good job....

Something else that worries me is the inconsistent Voltage reading between what I set in BIOS, what is read in BIOS and what is read in smartguardian or MBM5.

In bios I set:

1.45V x 110% = 1.595V

BIOS reading : 1.57V

MBM and Smartguardian reading: 1.52V ...

I don't want to put more then 1.6V on my processor, but which voltage should I believe?

FInally, do you guys ever use S&M to get your CPU hot fast? This program heat up the CPU much much faster then prime95. And using this program the PWM IC temp for me goes over 80oC in less then an hour... PLEASE HELP!

Scroll to the bottom of this page for S&M tester

Direct d/l for S&M tester

thanks

Theres going to be some inconsistency between bios and smartguardian/mbm readings, but 70c on your pwmic is a little high. train a fan on that area and see if that drops your temps, and if it doesnt you might have a faulty thermosistor. Also my try getting your hand near one of the heatsinks (the tall aluminum ones) to see if its really hot.... dont touch it though, you might get burned! (which if you do, things are too hot....)

Aye, I did use a fan, that blows right across all of the FETs and it dropped the temperature to the 50s oC. However, running the test using S&M tester, the FETS gets extremely hot >80oC when the CPU is in the low 50s oC...

I wonder if the heatsinks are making good contact with the FETs? Any recommendations on replacements?

Also about the voltage, which reading should I trust more? Where would be a good place on the board to probe the voltage to be sure?

thanks

Aye, I did use a fan, that blows right across all of the FETs and it dropped the temperature to the 50s oC. However, running the test using S&M tester, the FETS gets extremely hot >80oC when the CPU is in the low 50s oC...

I wonder if the heatsinks are making good contact with the FETs? Any recommendations on replacements?

Also about the voltage, which reading should I trust more? Where would be a good place on the board to probe the voltage to be sure?

thanks

Thats really hot for the pwmic area. Mine never got above 50C before I had

cooling on it. If you case has one of those handly thermal diodes I would put it up

with the heatsink and verify the temp readings. If it is that hot then I would think

you may need to reset that heatsinks(like the geforce cards that used a thermal

interface glue that would sometimes partially unseat during shipping resulting in a

higher temp than another card for no apparent reason).

believe what you set in the BIOS. I was wondering about the voltages readin

MBM5(my preference) and verified the voltages with a multimeter to be very close

to what I set them at in the bios regardless of what any win based prog reports.

Hope this helps:)

Peter

thanks for all the help. I thought something is wrong...

I don't have stock cooling I have the scythe ninja and it keeps the CPU very cool.

I need to take a look at reseating the heat sinks for the FETS...

Also for you guys with athlon 64 x2, what are your temps for CPU and chipset? Did you guys use after market cooling for either the cpu or the chipset or the MOSFETs?

thanks so much for the help again

oh also andrew, try that S&M program run only the FPU test for the cpu and let me know how hot your PWM IC get ;)

There is no installation, just a small program. It really heats up the CPU ver very well. Also what is your voltage, and cooling right now ? did you do anything for your chipset?

stock voltage, 7700cu, and a 120mm fan over memory (which i understand is near PWM... i really dont know where PWM is)

ill DL the thing real fast, hold on

what i dont understand is what is the diff between 100% with diff programs? isnt 100% usage 100% usage?

EDIT

it just got an error... yes i am overclocked but even prime doesnt generate errors, and ive never had a BSOD...