Sign in to follow this  
Puma/Sire

PCI-E Mhz

giving the full 16 lanes to each card does improve SLI performance somewhat, so yeah.

i would like to see the links...

as far as im concerned...not even the latest gpu's touch 8x .........

I have read over on XSystems that X1900 overclocks can be improved by upping the PCIe clock. Not sure why, just emperical testing.

The PCIe wont BREAK anything by being turned up. The bus is very robust, just like HTT but way way slower than HTT.

At 100Mhz you should actually be able to hook up a 20ft ribbon cable and plug your video card in over at the other side of your computer room, and it will work just fine. That's how robust the design of PCIe is.

Ive been running 120Mhz ever since I got the X1900, its been fine.

The only NEED to ever bother going past 100Mhz is if ATI releases drivers that allow CFire without dongle on the X1800/X1900 boards. At which point you would NOTICE the difference between 100Mhz PCIe and 150Mhz. Doing dongle-less CFire is about the only thing that would tax the current bus to the point a speed increase would be meaningful.

But the worst case result would be the NF4 or RD580 getting a bit warmer when pushing 150Mhz instead of 100Mhz on the PCIe. But just like your 1800Mhz Opty 165 doesn't explode at 2600Mhz, neither will your PCIe bus.

But 99% of the time it's simply a pointless act, and as AG says, dont bother.

Trust me, Im an engineer with intimate knowledge of the PCIe spec.

Guest burningrave101

What kind of improvement in overclocks or performance do you notice with your X1900XT by raising the PCI-e clock? I have an XTX and i may try raising it to 110-120MHz to see if it will improve anything. If not then i'll just revert back to default 100MHz.

there's no reason to ever move your pCI-E to more than 100Mhz

I've tried all the way up to 110Mhz and it does absolutely nothing for cpu overclocks, memory overclocks, gpu overclocks, any overclocks.

I'll repeat once again

raising your PCI-E frequency will not do anything except help PCI-E devices or devices plugged into a PCI-E bus not detect (remember raising your PCI mhz too high and your hdd's wouldn't detect? booyah)

Question that crosses my mind then, is if it is kind of pointless why have it as an option in the bios? Seems a bit daft :confused:

RLM

Guest shaolin95

Intersting Q indeed. Ive hear from a top OCing dog that it does help stability perhaps at XS..cant recall. I have it a 110 but I am gonna back down to 100 and see if my current OC (720/884) gets unstable.

Running Oblivion, Ive tried every Hardware tweak I can think of to get more stability out of the game. Ive tried every PCI-E frequency from 100 to 112. Ive settled at 106 and for some unknown reason to me, I do seem to get more stability when playing Oblivion. My card is running at 470/1188 but not sure if bumping the PCI-E changes that.