BF2 (main server screen : is it me ?)

OceanSeasforMe

ok, backwards then forwards.

Second time I installed bf2 after I inadvertanty crushed it last time.

(I installed the 32 man lan.exe twice accidentally and it became unstable.)

Anyway it runs like a champ and plays like a champ and all is good. Well almost, and I think it is my (Im on the country) connection. I have 128k hi speed digital phone internet and its nothing special. So when I load the game and get to the multiplayer server update screen the game becomes very very twitchy and prone to lock up. *(unresponsive if I hit the wrong button.) Like server refresh will lock it tight a lot of times. In general, I have quickly learned what not to hit and to carefully make only one selection at a time. 1

So I think it is just trying to load a ton of data and my connection just cant handle it ? Or am I missing something ?

I do not have Gamespy installed and I am useing the bf2 interface and it logs in fine but the update server list is prone to (seemingly cause I run out of patience) locking also.

The Play NOW feature also went out to lunch the two times I tried it and so I am avoiding it also now.

Sugestions ? I went to the bf2 *(EA) homepage and read the 5 pages of common issues and did not find any info I thought might be helpful.

A good Bf2 forum link would be nice also as I can possibly hunt somethign up there.

I am running the winblows firewall I and thats it. AVG is turned off and I am booting with minimal (ATItool, AVG,Folding@home,Diskeeper are turned off in boot.)

CPU is 0% use game runs perfect except for the difficulty in actually getting the server list and whatnot. *(only mbm45 in the background really.)

PS if pickles plays, I think he was kicking my tail the other night. But I held my own and I might actually play a ranked server now. With my location (plus other issues) I think its my connection.

Also, I need to go check at whatismyIPdawtkahm as our local company farms customers out and so my IP usually shows me in Chicago or up north rather than florida.

suggestions ?

thanks OceanSeas.

I would guess is do to only haveing 1gig of ram, i have the same problem with the server load screen being a bit sketchy at times.... But when im in a server i have np what so ever... Also theres a chinese speach option in audio settings... Turn that off

I deleted the default account and I am always selecting login under my username now.

*(if it weren't meant to be deleted it should have let me know.... ~!

I guess its time to find /ipers tips and see if I can get my overall memory load down a bit.

I am unfortunately still leaning twords my independant phone company and their bad service and policies. *(cause windows firewall hasnt mentioned it, I guess I could dig up an old copy of Zone alarm and test, but I dont think its a blocked port as it is sporatic and not continual. )

It is not crashing and the Game loads fine and plays the 32 man lan patch like a champ.

(31 bots and one player) This is in stand alone server mode.( I think wejust me logging in)

If I hit the "play BF2 online now" it fails to connect 100% of the time.

Regular Bf2 Icon loads game and multiplayer mode works but seems buggy and server update wants to lock up but sometimes works also. IF I refresh its a 100% fail.

Mostly its just annoying me (very hard to do) when it freezes at one of two screens.

Nothing I have tried has broken it out of the loop and I have to cntl/alt/del and reboot.

Also, thanks for the language tip.

HAAAR~! found UOtrace on EA site... lol, that is an old school ultima online tool from the pre 56k days. Guess its time to read the manual or hunt a webpage.

Back to try again, must feed fix.

• 1 month later...

Life got in the way.

It plays fine with a reinstall of the 32 man lan patch. I think I hosed the original install with a reinstall of the 32manlan patch accidentally... :)

I un and reinstalled the whole kit and caboodle and tweaked the startup a bit and lowered memory overall footprint and it plays lan on online pretty good as long as I take my time and hit the buttons slowly. I need to hit the lotto and buy more ram :)

Funny this thread should resurect, at the time it was important. Then again thats usually the way it is. Tomorrow I might play for the first time in two weeks or so. Life gets in the way.

I know what you mean :)

I had just bought BF2 that day I replied and was having trouble connecting to that account server, it wouldn't even let me do single player without freezing at "connecting to account server."

I've yet to have your problem, but was just wondering if I could help since I feel ya on the BF2 issues.

Good luck and hope ya fix it!