Corsair DDR1 + DFI Lanparty NF4 939 (stock, stable settings for many t

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

umm...really sorry if i am at the wrong place, but i wanna get this RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145575

but, i was told DFI and corsair are not such good friends so....are there and compatible settings for this RAM and DFI SLI DR ??

I'm running that very RAM you're looking at in the NewEgg add.

It ran fine at DDR400 out of the package, but didn't overclock too well at first, till I started playing around with some of the more obscure timing settings in the Genie BIOS.

I've had 3 sets of that Twinx 3200c2 and they've all been fine with default settings and only gone up to between 205-212Mhz without some major changes to the settings.

If you want to O/C the CPU in your new rig by hopping the FSB, you'll be using a 166 or 150 divider, depending on which CPU you run and at what multiplier setting.

No worries about it NOT working, it will work, you just won't get huge overclocks on the memory itself... loosening the timings the regular way doesn't make it go faster and neither does adding any voltage over 2.8v

The best I've done with this stuff (STABLE) is 437.5Mhz (about DDR475) at 3-2-3-5 timings (low latency, moderate overclock) after playing with Skew and drive strength. I can post my settings if you're interested.

hmm....well thanx for the advice dude, but the rebate for the OCZ RAM has been extended to 11th June 2006 :D....so maybe i shuid go with the OCZ RAM....please visit this link:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ed=1#post509362

If you wanna O/C your RAM I would definitely go with the OCZ....

If you're a cheapskate and don't care about O/C-ing the RAM much, that's the only time I'd recommend that particular Corsair memory.

BadWill, I don't know if you saw my post before, could you post the stable settings you had mentioned for the Twinx2048-3200c2pt? I should be getting that ram in today and I was wondering how you'd had it set up.

I'm working at a client's location today, but I can tonight when I'm back on my regular machine.

My TwinX sets have all worked fine at stock SPD timings at regular 200MHz/ DDR400/PC3200, though I know some have had problems booting with that.

Until I can look at what I was actually running, this is what I could get at stock speeds in terms of timings:

2.5-3-3-6, best at that clock was 2-3-2-5 (not bad at stock at all, but my memory controller on the CPU is pretty decent your mileage may vary.

Remember that 2-3-3-7 or whatever timings match what you see on the STICK of ram or what's popularly used, not the order it's all in in the DFI Genie BIOS.

it's more like

etc

in the BIOS. Use the memory guide here to match up the timings. I'll post you a more complete list at particular speeds later tonight.

yeap your right but i was not singleing you out.And if you took it that way Im sorry . not intended. what was is the fact that people here come to get up and running with what they have. And god help them if they have corsair ram. because 98% of the people will tell them corsair and DFI dont work together. And of that 98% 97% of them never had any corsair ram. the other 1 % gave up and didnt learn anything

Hey, I appreciate the response, msmolt... I actually think we agree most of the time and I really do appreciate the input and the advice you have for the questions we get on the street. :)

I agree with you in most respects. Though I've been a big Corsair proponent for years, I'll also be the first to admit that of all the "performance memory" vendors, using Corsair sticks with DFI's boards requires more patience than the other brands. I think the way DFI tunes its stuff, it just takes more effort to "massage" most Corsair into its 'true' speed. I'm not knocking DFI either, they have all the stuff on the LANParty line that I've dreamed of for over a decade... control of nearly EVERYTHING and most systems clock-locked away from each other for more flexibility.

In any event, I still run Corsair and I advocate it where I feel it's applicable, which at this point is mainly in the value segment with the XMS and XMS-PT stuff. I love the LL and the PRO, but they just cost too darn much compared to the rest of the market for comparable stuff.

I believe you can usually get better clocks for less money using OCZ or G.Skill, and I can't vouch for the ultrahighspeed (MHz) stuff, because I don't deal with it, it's not worth spending 200 bucks that could get you a better video card or processor on a memory swap that will net you 2.5% performance increase... so I'm a 'bang for the buck' kinda guy.

All of the XMS1024 stuff i've run will do at least 230-235MHz, and with fairly low latencies, so probably better than high latency and 250. For the money with the rebates offered, it's damn good RAM if you have some patience, follow the guides and love to tweak.

Your mileage may vary (YMMV), but with DFI and some desire, you really CAN get more out of stuff when it seems hopeless.

BadWill, I don't know if you saw my post before, could you post the stable settings you had mentioned for the Twinx2048-3200c2pt? I should be getting that ram in today and I was wondering how you'd had it set up.

Ok, first you need to make sure you're running OK and stable at stock speeds, so for that I recommend the following:

*speed set by SPD

CPC: Enable

Tcl: 2.5

Trcd: 3

Tras: 6

Trp: 3

Trc: 8

leave everything else alone, just make sure Bank Interleave is set to Enable.

if that works OK in memtest and you can boot windows Ok, you can try to tweak at that speed (if you're going to run them a while at stock speed) with these settings (try one at a time changing these and see if you can still complete memtest/boot windows/run ok):

Tcl: 2 (shouldn't work, but has on 2 out of 3 sets of this TwinX2048 for me)

Tras: 5

Trc: 7

Trfc: 10

You can fiddle with others, but the tcl and tras are the real biggies.

What I'm running my current set at as we speak:

** this is with 290MHz HTT speed and a 5/6 (166) memory divider**

CPC: Enable

Tcl: 2.5

Trcd: 3

Tras: 5

Trp: 3

Trc: 8

Trfc: 11

Trrd: 2

Twr: 2

Twtr: 2

Txxx 4 (cant remember the name offhand)

Bank Interleave: Enable

Skew: Decrease

Skew Valus: 128

DRAM Drive Str: 7

Drame Data Str: 3

Max Async Latency: Auto (careful with these, they limit your MHz speed bad)

DRAM Response: Fastest

Read Preamble: Auto (careful with these, they limit your MHz speed bad)

32 bit granularity: Disable (gets unstable with "enable" over a certain HTT speed.)

Try that all on for size. What you can run for HTT will depend as much on your processor and whether or not you Overclock much. Read the guides!

:)

yeah but in the UK we dont have that option to run and get ocz or gskill and corsair is on every corner :) and cheeper then getting the other

I hear you there... plenty of products that are offered on one side of the ocean or other but NOT both... depends on who is contracted to comply with which countries rules/games. Even with NAFTA 'free trade' over here, still Canadians usually cannot buy stuff from a US outlet and get it SHIPPED over the border. People on the cooling forum here begging for a 5 (UK pounds) VC-RE chipset cooler for someone here to PLEASE buy and ship over themselves privately for a total cost of 3 times the list price... silly stuff, but sometimes a must. :mad:

Cheaper is always good. I'm such a miser... the accountant in me will spend 30 bucks for a Zalman VGA cooler for my cheapo but fast enough eVGA 7600GS card, to run cool and O/C 50% or more over stock (because it's REAL speed in gaming), but I run a stock CPU HSF, since who cares when the CPU is always the coolest component in the temp list...? Chipset, VGA, and PWMIC are ALWAYS higher temp.... so I save the money and spend the dough where it will give more performance.

Thanks for the settings Bad Will! I'm currently just running prime on the 2.5-3-3-6 before I play with the settings anymore.

I've never played with timings much before so I have 2 questions, you said you could get 2-3-2-5 at stock speed, I know the first 2 is CAS, and the 5 is Tras, but which one could you get to 2, Trcd or Trp?

Also, if I set something that doesn't work (like how you say 2 shouldn't work for CAS) do I risk damage to the memory/system, or will it just not boot/be stable until I set it back? Like say I set all outrageously low timings, could I permanently damage the system?

Thanks for your help.