Is there any point to buying value ram over the expensive stuff on the

Mixman

I have read Angry's guide and I understand that of course have your CPU " haul butt" is the most important for an overclock. Then the next most important thing is low latency ram even on a divider. I still see a lot of people here that have expensive ram some low latency, some high speed. I now read this thread at Anandtech as see that they basically are saying that you are wasting your money on anything but "Value Ram".

So is there any need for more expensive ram in real world apps ?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No expensive ram is not worth it...look here at Zebo's thread at Anandtech

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...0&enterthread=y

If you want a very small performance increase but not proportional to cost go for it...

I bought 2 x 1GB of crucial valuram and run @250mhz at 3-3-3-7-1t and I am very happy....I did buy OCZ PC3200 GOLD ram(200@2-2-2-5-1t) that could run tighter timings at first to test (but would not overclock well) and I found I preferred the valuram

If your not overclocking thats fine.. But with value ram your always taking a chance of it not being compatible, even if one person is using it doesnt mean the same value ram will work for everyone.. I would never suggest value ram for that reason..

Well..

My friend runs Shikatronix PC4000 2.5-4-4-8 ram, and I run generic PC3200 2.5-4-4-8 ram.

Using the same board and processor, we tested.

His Shikatronix stuff running at 1:1 250 * 9 = 2250 benched nearly identical to that of mine, running at 5:6 250 * 9 = 2250. This is of course with identical timings.

You decide, but I think that the money one would need to spend on their RAM would be placed better on a different upgrade, say a video card? :P

well.. What im trying to say is.. IF you search through these forums you will see many people that have problems with lower end "value" type stuff.. So just for compatibility reasons it would be good to stick to 'decent' name brand ram..

I know there are some people like you and your friend that have gotten value stuff to work decent and thats great !.. But it doesnt happen like that all the time.