Better CPU for cheaper video card, or better video card for cheaper CP

andyc

Well I'm going to be building a new computer this Christmas. My setup is my sig.

What's bothering me is, I don't know what the better setup is.

3200+ Venice and 7800GT evga

OR

3700+ San Diego and X800XL Asus

They roughly cost the same so price isn't that much of a factor.

I game almost everyday, but I want to know if there will be a major performance difference between the 3200+ Venice and the 3700+ San Diego. I do the occasional encoding, ripping etc. I will also be overclocking the CPU if that is a factor.

Which setup would I see the most optimal performance?

Thanks

with one setup the video card is the bottleneck and with the other the CPU.

but not really by a large margine. since thier both midrange CPus and Midrange cards id say opt for the setup that has the 3700 sandy. you can OC it pretty nicly if thats what u want and save up for a better videocard in about a year. the CPU should last 2 years before it starts to really hurt you in gaming.

You can't touch the vga. What good is a possibly better cpu if its feeding last years vga? As for encoding and ripping, you count the nanoseconds(exaduration)? Cause thats the difference.

20 fps diff in Doom 3 vs 7 seconds diff in cd ripping. The game you live in front of. CD ripping happens while your taking a ..

All statements assuming you make up the 200mhz difference.

P.S. dat camel dude is right about the 3500+ $20 bucks for a 11x multi is sweet

You can't touch the vga. What good is a possibly better cpu if its feeding last years vga? As for encoding and ripping, you count the nanoseconds(exaduration)? Cause thats the difference.

20 fps diff in Doom 3 vs 7 seconds diff in cd ripping. The game you live in front of. CD ripping happens while your taking a ..

All statements assuming you make up the 200mhz difference.

P.S. dat camel dude is right about the 3500+ $20 bucks for a 11x multi is sweet

Wow. That pretty much summed it up. Good example. lol

Is 3700+ San Diego even worth it over the 3200+? Since I'm going to overclocking anyways, will it make a big difference?

A good 3000+ should OC to about 2.5GHz+. ;)

I notice alot of people having probs with an 9x multi. Or maybe its just because its binned lower? I think you should get at least 10x(3200+). And my previous statment 3500+ is $20 more is false, its $30 more.

3500+ $219.00 FREE SHIPPING + free game

http://www.pricewatch.com/BuyNow.aspx?frmC...&frmReadClick=1

3200+ $190.00 FREE SHIPPING + free game

http://www.pricewatch.com/BuyNow.aspx?frmC...&frmReadClick=1

(All prices as of 10-3-05)

Good luck!

Is 3700+ San Diego even worth it over the 3200+? Since I'm going to overclocking anyways, will it make a big difference?

San diego can't justify the price, 3500+ or 3200+ can.

3700+ vs 3500+ is the question, the sandy just hasn't proven itself over venice. Don't get me wrong, the sandy might be better after the 64-bit revolution, just not yet. However. Lets face it, a 512 L2 cache(venice) in true 64-bit environments( OS and at least a majority of programs) is questionable. Twice the memory adressing potential and just 512 L2? Bottleneck anyone? Hey, me no expert, just my opinion.

Look how many people got a venice. It has proven itself in todays world time and again. The venice is undeny-able. As, truth, is its value, for all exept 3800+. I think you can't go wrong with a venice.

3200+ Venice / 7800 video card

easy choice

mine (and most, but not all...but most) 3200+ Venice cpu's will do 2750Mhz...mine does it EASILY with about 8 different kits of memory, and it has done it on every single DFI Lanparty NF4 board I have plugged it into.

I can guarantee you it will do 2200Mhz, which is the 3700+'s stock speed (tho only half the L2 cache...but that is immaterial really unless you gonna do scientific number crunching all day...and if that is the case, you don't need a 7800 video card)

I went through this exact same decision process for my system... 3500+ & 7800GT or 3700+ & X800XL?

The way I rationalized it is that I'm going to be running the same proc for at least 2 years, whereas I will most likely go through 2 video card upgrades in that same time period. Every system I've had, the video card is always the first and most frequently upgraded component. I'd rather have the Sandy to go with whatever video card I'm running next year...