Crucial Ballistix PC3200 problems, please help!

Hi, first post, although I've been doing a lot of reading round here. I still can't get my RAM to boot in dual channel mode. I've tried numerous amounts of settings which people have posted.

I'm really tired of this now, at the moment I have managed to get it running in slots 1&2, single channel, seems ok. I've loaded optimized settings and configured the RAM to match it's specs. 2.8v, 2-2-2-6.

Please help, I'm pretty new to memory timimgs and such but I've learned a lot since I've had this problem.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, before this started happening I had it running in dual channel mode, then I started getting BSODs with various .sys files mentioned and memory dumps etc.

But now when I put them in dual channel mode the board just stops on 3 red LEDs. So that means it's not picking up the RAM if I'm not mistaken. Sometimes it does actually boot to the DFI logo screen but won't boot windows. 'tis a strange thing.

Yep, orange slots.

oh and I probably should mention, I did a 28hr~ memtest in dual channel mode, a total of 71 passes were done and it returned only 1 error. I thought that was pretty good, on pass 11. I rebooted after that and it wouldn't boot Windows. D'oh!

I've ran a couple of tests on each stick and they returned no errors. I have tried the 201 bios and that made no difference. I have cleared CMOS a zillion times. I haven't tried upping the voltage to 2.9 as I didn't want to go over 2.8, but I will give it a go in a second and let you know what happens. Thanks. :)

ok I just upped the voltage to 2.9, RAM in orange slots and it got the the CMOS Backup stage and went no further. I dropped the voltage to 2.6 just to experiment and it did exactly the same.

Right now I have moved the RAM back in to slots 1 & 2 at 2.6v and it's running alright. It's got to be a couple of settings or something that is stopping me from booting windows. I haven't a clue which ones though.

despite what anyone says, the dfi board really doesn't seem to like ballistix. If you do searches and look at other people's experiences, you'll see that the timings, voltages, and BIOS people swear by can be pretty different. I believe Rgone actually took the voltage on those badboys up past 3[V] for his stable settings. In my case, the higher I took the voltages, the *less* stable they were....I actually had to drop mine down to 2.5[V] before they would bench completely stable under Prime, and I've got them running at 2-3-3-10 timings atm.

They say the 3-10 BIOS is the magic one for ballistix memory, but I don't know if that one will support your particular cpu (dual-core, yeah?). I don't know if you've run across it yet or not, but have you tried the memory timings guide found at the bottom of The Definitive DFI AMD Overclocking Guide? Once you've tried everything there if you still can't get any stable settings then you might consider experimenting with some other BIOS to see if any of them like your memory better. Also, someone on these boards once said that ballistix memory doesn't like really loose timings, and from my experiences that sounds about right, so keep that in mind. Not too loose, but not overly tight if you're just trying to get them to work correctly. And if nothing works at all, and you determine it's not your memory that's bad, well then there's always RMA. Good luck. :cat:

Hi, first post, although I've been doing a lot of reading round here. I still can't get my RAM to boot in dual channel mode. I've tried numerous amounts of settings which people have posted.

I'm really tired of this now, at the moment I have managed to get it running in slots 1&2, single channel, seems ok. I've loaded optimized settings and configured the RAM to match it's specs. 2.8v, 2-2-2-6.

Please help, I'm pretty new to memory timimgs and such but I've learned a lot since I've had this problem.

No probs here, using 623 Bios settings as follows

Drram frequency set Auto or 1/01

CPC ENABLED

TCL 2

TRCD 2

TRAS 6 OR 8 {8 is SPD}

TRP 2

this will boot up with 2.6V 2.7V but I use 2.8V

EVERY THING ELSE AS IT IS IF USING bIOS 623! Good Luck :drool: