Sign in to follow this  
Edeka

Chipset fan... busted?

Hey all. My chipset fan used to run at about 7000RPMs, and the temp would stay around 46-48 degrees.

Now, the chispet fan runs at about 4000RPMs, and now it makes a very annoying, and loud spinning sound thati t never used to make. Sounds like a airplane. Runs at about 50 degrees now.

Anyway, I tried using Smartguardian to get the RPMs back up to the default level, but they won't. Can anyone help me?

Because of certain considerations, in some tech support situations I have been referring the user to this. The replies back to me after the user moves over to this have been really good.

Many users are swapping over to one similar to this one. Even thinking of such for myself just as a 'look and see' sort of thing. http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.p...&cat=223&page=1

Looks good. http://forums.overclockersclub.com/DFI_NF4...nt_img-424.html

RGone...

Looks like your fan is on its way out. Either RMA the board to DFI (you can just send the fan for a replacement, I think), or pick up an aftermarket cooler. I think the one that people here have used is the Vantec Iceberg chipset heatsink...

Well how can I turn the RPMs up? I've only had the board for a month, it can't be going out all ready.

Is there any way to just turn the fan speed up?

I bought the Evercool VC-RE to replace the NF4 chipset fan but I can't get the old fan to come off. I thought the push pins would just pop out. Do I need to remove the motherboard tray to do this? If so, I can't figure out how to remove the motherboard tray! I have an Antec P160 case. Can anyone help me?

Guest drteming
I bought the Evercool VC-RE to replace the NF4 chipset fan but I can't get the old fan to come off. I thought the push pins would just pop out. Do I need to remove the motherboard tray to do this? If so, I can't figure out how to remove the motherboard tray! I have an Antec P160 case. Can anyone help me?

You need to take out the motherboard, not just the tray. Follow A-G's guide on removing the chipset cooler and applying AS5 in the mod section. BTW, I have installed the VC-RE and it works great. Now that AS5 has burned in, the chipset temp does not go above 42 c under any conditions.

By the way where is your Location as required by Forum Rules???

Not any sense to us looking up some site over here in uSa or Canada that has something for sale if you live in cannotbuyshettfaroffistan. The management...

There's gotta be someone with more advice...

Ha, this just happened to me this morning- mine actually died, that is. It had been making the noise for a couple of weeks. I've had my mobo since March. POS HSF.

I'm looking at a VANTEC CCB-A1C Ball VGA Cooler. I don't know a ton about it, though. But I can tell you that your HSF is dying.