DFI UT NF4 Wont boot after the cold boot with OCZ 4000VX mem

epo

Hi, got a strange problem, it's the opposite of the cold boot i think :)

When first powering on the system after it has been powered off for some hours it work great, boots all up to windows without any problems. When i restart the computer, or power it of and power it on after 1 minute i hangs just when it detected the cpu. Seems like it fails on detecting the OCZ memory. When i remove one dimm, the computer works again and works fine, only with 1 dimm. It only works again after some hours, or removing the power cable or battery after some time.

Tried everything, different bioses, different settings, the OCZ mem guide etc. I am using 3.3v for my OCZ 4000VX memory. Lowering timings etc. doesnt do the job. Comp is well overclocked, but bringing it back to default levels doesn't make a difference, second boot will always hang after detecting the cpu. Anyone can help ? Thanks in advance.

Hi, got a strange problem, it's the opposite of the cold boot i think :)

When first powering on the system after it has been powered off for some hours it work great, boots all up to windows without any problems. When i restart the computer, or power it of and power it on after 1 minute i hangs just when it detected the cpu. Seems like it fails on detecting the OCZ memory. When i remove one dimm, the computer works again and works fine, only with 1 dimm. It only works again after some hours, or removing the power cable or battery after some time.

Tried everything, different bioses, different settings, the OCZ mem guide etc. I am using 3.3v for my OCZ 4000VX memory. Lowering timings etc. doesnt do the job. Comp is well overclocked, but bringing it back to default levels doesn't make a difference, second boot will always hang after detecting the cpu. Anyone can help ? Thanks in advance.

Just a thought but do you have a fan on the ram?

yes i have the 4v jumper enabled, otherwise i would not get the 3.3v :) Also have fans on the ram and on the mb so its well cooled. I also tried to change dims, but that doesnt make a difference. Each Dimm seem to be ok when running memtest or other tests also in dual mode, so i am completly lost. Seems in my case in the second boot its doesnt get enough voltage??

First revert to nOn-jp17 on 4.0V jumper setting. Back to 3.3V supply for memory in other words.

Then flash this bios >> http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25046

Clear Cmos like this...

Here is the 'official' DFI way of clearing the CMOS:

1. pull power *A/C Power from wall outlet*.

2. pull battery

3. clear cmos jumper to pins 2 and 3 for minimum of 30-60 seconds *For Real troublesome systems use 8 hours*.

4. replace cmos jumper to normal position pins 1 and 2.

5. replace battery

6. replace power *A/C Power from wall outlet*.

7. boot to bios and load optimized defaults

8. save and exit

9. boot back to bios and now you can change settings to your liking. *Is what we are trying to get to*.

The above is especially true after some unknown boot failure and after a bios flash.

Re-enter bios and up Vmemory voltage to 3.0volts and add 110% to Vcore. Touch nothing else and see if both sticks now boot at every situation without you messing with anything else. Then report back.

PS: I think I personally would try the yellow slots first and then the Orange as we are looking for baseline normal or abnormalties.

RGone...

So i did, but it didnt worked out unfortunatly. First boot was a beep beep beep. So i removed the OCZ mem en put in my old BH5 mem. This way i could boot and set my vdimm to 3.0v. Removing the BH5 and inserting one OCZ stick worked for now, could also boot to Windows.

Inserting the second one failed in all ways possible (orange, yellow, less timing etc.) it only gave me the beep beep beep beep. But after changing the first dimm with the second and let it boot alone failed also. So now it does seems like i have one problem stick, wouldnt know what else it can be as it just boot perfekt with 4 BH5 sticks. Think i will rma my mem, thanks for the help.

I would say your RAM is faulty, well whether I can say 'faulty' for sure, umm I don't know. But if you get some new sticks the problem will go away. There was a bit of, let's call it a situation, regarding high voltage RAM and DFI NF4 boards. Loads of rumours, lots of speculation, bios updates and guesses as to why things stopped working... blah blah blah. Anyway you have read about it I guess.

Onto why I replied. I had sticks that behaved in exactly the same way.

- Could always power up if the machine was left off for a period of time and not guaranteed to power up. I found about 1 hour would do the trick. The machine was stable and could pass OCCT, memtest, 3dmark2001.

Try this experiment (at your own risk, not touching contacts etc.), leave your machine off for at least 1 hour, or the time for you that it takes that you *know* that you will be able to boot up with both sticks. Before powering up, remove the dimms, heat them up (or in my case I knew which one was causing the problems and only heated that one). Or try the opposite, when the machine won't boot, cool the sticks off with a fan and you won't have to wait so long for your machine to boot up. This is what led me to RMA my sticks.

As you can see in my sig, I no longer have the VX ram. I received a second set RMA, which failed in memtest and gave up on the VX. I liked the VX but did not want the risk anymore and the time I spent doing 'tweak-fun'.

Chris

You should also read over at the official OCZ forums.

That sounds like the most likely problem factor, i have a fan on my ram, but i guess that doesnt help enough. And somehow the problem dimm need to be real cool to startup, I will see if i can test this, thanks again for your reply as not many have had this problem too. I already mailed Steve from OCZ about this issue, so i am curious what he thinks.