Sign in to follow this  
MrFred

SLI-DR Instability

Hello!

I want to apologize in advance for this long winded post! I just want to be as detailed as possible.

I'm having a few issues with stability I'm hoping I can get some advice on. I loaded XP on and everything was just fine. No issues. I installed the chipset, and video drivers (all but the USB drivers as noted on forums).

All driver versions are listed in my sig. I have not yet installed any Windows Updates.

The next thing I did was test 3dmark05. It ran completely fine until I got to the CPU test. At this time it got near the end and then froze. Upon rebooting Windows took very long to load and finally came up with a BSOD saying:

Stop: c000021a [Fatal System Error]

The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status 0f

0x00000080 (0x00000000 0x00000000).

The system has been shut down.

After that I had to restart again. After restarting it would keep giving that msg. I also tried Safe Mode. Safe Mode didn't give a BSOD however it would hang at the screen loading the drivers. I tried a few more times and sometimes Windows would start to load. ScanDisk would start but freeze.

I shut down then and reset the CMOS and started back up. Windows finally booted. ScanDisk ran and found a few errors and fixed them. I went back to the BIOS and redid my settings (most are default anyway right now). Rebooted and the screen came back.

Going back to the BIOS I went and started changing BIOS settings and I disabled S.M.A.R.T. and Windows did boot fine. After going into Windows didn't happen but Windows looked very odd also applications wouldnt execute. For example Rundll.exe couldn't startup. After another reboot everything seemed like it was back to normal.

The thing is now running 3dMark05 does not cause any of those issues however during the CPU Test it does sometimes terminate itself (but not freeze). Sometimes it doesn't..... I ran it once and it terminated then ran it 3 times in a row just fine. I tried it after rebooting and from a cold boot. None of that made a difference so it is completely random.

One other thing which I think is completely isolated to this situation but I'll mention anyway. After one recent reboot when windows loaded the screen was completely garbled up however upon reboot it was fine. Obviously video related however seemed to be a 1 time deal (driver related I'm guessing). I say this because I have rebooted many times now without seeing that...

I ran Memtest and there were no ram errors and I even relaxed the settings to 3-3-3-8. Running all the diff stress tests in Prime95 also do not produce the issue. Running the Realtime HDRI test for my graphics card also does not produce any problems.

Sorry again for the long winded post! I hope someone can give me some insight to this!

Thanks!!

I see that you have water cooling your Video Card. Do you have a fan on the video card and ram sinks? You problems sound a lot like video card related. Your GPU block also might not have a good seat you might want to chek it. What pump is on that WC system it might be a little overwelmed with three block especaly if you have anything cloce to a kink. The GPU temps look very high for watercooling too.

Thos pwmic temps are real high too not a problem by itself but might indicate poor case flow. The normal cpu block moves ari over the MB and this whelps keep everything cool. Again make sure you have some air moving in the area of the memory and the sinks by the CPU so you dont overstress things. but your most likly culprate is the videocard.

The watercooling is an Exos-2 (http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info....products_id=189). The waterblock cools the core and the front ram chips. I put copper ram sinks on the back ram chips. Besides the power supply I added one SilenX 120mm fan that pushs 58cfm as a rear exhaust. The case is a Thermaltake Tsunami.

The watercooling uses 3/8 tubing into the CPU then it is split into 2x 1/4 connections. One goes to the GPU and the other to the chipset then another splitter back to 3/8 and to the radiator. I don't think the temps are that bad for the GPU. With the ram being cooled plus the clock on the card is at 490mhz.

I've ran Prime95 torture tests while the Realtime HDRI tests run which should stress things far more then 3dmark05 without any probs for 15 mins.

Also worth noting I've left the case opened as well during 3dmark05.

Try to install a slipstreamed version of xp-sp2, that cures alot of driver problems, google slipstream, or just run a search here if ya need the help on that.

Could it be a driver related issue? The reason I ask is since I had to reset the cmos to even get back into Windows. Also booting to safe mode didn't even work since it froze.

Interesting problem.. I've been having something similar with my system.. Sounds video driver related.. I think ever since I went from the 77.77's to whatever everything has gone to hell and taken the graphic cards with it.

I don't think the temps are that bad for the GPU. With the ram being cooled plus the clock on the card is at 490mhz.

I run my air cooled 7800GT at 501/1225 most of the time(zalman copper cooler)

and my temps are the same or lower most of the time.

Also I had a ton of problems when I first got my board and had to reinstall

windows 5-6 times. One problem was I was installing the Nforce IDE driver(which

can cause instability). The other was that one of my Ballistix sticks was not

working properly. With that replaced things got much better at stock settings.

I'm still fighting with the stability of my board but I don't get BSOD's anymore.

What worked for me was to reflash the bios to latest version(I didn't clear CMOS

or anything just loaded optimized defaults). Then Installed windows, then chipset

drivers but not IDE driver, then win updates.

There is a thread about the process of installing win on a new build that you

might find pretty helpful.

Good Luck :) Hope you get your board running smoothly

Peter

Trying it with 1 stick of ram at 2T seems to have stopped the problem. So I guess it is ram. As for my temps I'm pulling these from an extreme. I don't have AC on so room temp is about 28c/82f with high humidity.. The only temp that is off is the Chipset. I need to reseat the waterblock for sure.