Sign in to follow this  
The O.C.

Mystery problem

If anyone at DFI would like to help me with a major problem that'd be helpful. I recently built a computer (see sig) and except for a bad stick of mushkin (now replaced with OCZ platinum) it was working great.In my excitement at learning the overhead in venice core CPUs I decided like a moron to try a mild OC from 1.8 up to 2.0 with clockgen. I've since read it isn't a good idea to do software OCs but ... too late. Everything worked fine for a while .. temps stayed in the high 30s for my CPU and my NB wasn't too high either. Then the whole computer froze and since then I haven't been able to boot properly. It gets to where all LEDs are out but I just get a black screen where i should see a windows loading screen. I'm sure your first guess is that I screwed my windows installation and I'd almost be tempted to agree since a linux live cd seems to work fine. The mystery is I can't re-install windows. I get a black screen right at "inspecting hardware configuration". It's not the PS it's a brand new fortron 500w. It's not the vid card, I swapped in a TNT 16mb PCI and it behaves the same. I've tried several BIOS but none seemed to help. Right now it's running the OCZ recommended 623-2 BIOS. BIOS acts normally, Linux seems normal. But I can no longer get windows to work at all. I didn't read about the nTune thing in time and installed it but i never used it for anything but temp monitoring. still pissed it was in the box at all

any help would be welcome

Yes, I tried clearing the CMOS multiple times, multiple ways and for multiple lengths of time. It's hard to install XP when it locks up at the beginning of the process like I was saying.

At this point I'm assuming it's either my mobo or my cpu ... damm. I don't have an extra of either to test with. Guess this is going to cost me even MORE money yet.

don't think anybody is around right now. guess i'll go to bed.

If somebody from DFI could respond to my thread that'd be swell.

yawn ..zzz

I doubt it's memory related as windows was working fine at at least one point in time.

are all 4 power plugs plugged into the mobo? (floppy, 4pin molex, 4pin + 24pin)

You need to unconditional format your drive (setting it back to all 0s) to do this the easy thing to is grab hold of a win98 bootdisk, making sure it has fdisk and format.com files on it, let the disk load and when prompted press shift+f5 to enter dos prompt, from there type fdisk, delete your hard drive partition and recreate it, exit fdisk and type the following command; FORMAT C: /U wait for the format to complete and your drive will then be set back to all 0s. As things like linux seem to work fine i wouldnt think your cpu or mobo is buggerd.

good suggestion kuniva i have had a simlar issue a long time ago with an asus board after OCing i think the file system on the HDD got corrupted and i could not install windows untile i deleted the partitions and formated,

also you could try with a PS2 mouse or no mouse at all as i have seen peeps not being to installboot just cos they have USB devices plugged in

No it's not memory related, I tried the one good mushkin and then one DDR 266 and then one platinum in each of the slots. Memtest is fine for a few passes. Yes I have all the power connectors plugged in. The HDD thing occured to me before I crashed out for the night and I dug out an old HDD to try. I think you might be on to something there. I tried booting with no mouse but that didn't help. Going to fire in that HDD now.