Sign in to follow this  
reetzy

Whats this in the bios ?????

Hi, Can someone tell me what this does in the bios and what setting i should have it on ?? thanks

Sorry, forgot to put it down,

INIT DISPLAY FIRST

OPTIONS ARE.....PCI SLOT OR PCIEX

To set which video slot to use during boot up.

PCI Express or PCI, doesn't seem to make any difference either way.

7800 series card s are all PCIx. Can be usefull for testing comp, I keep an old 2Meg PCI vga card in the cupboard.

WOW lol thats going back alooooooooooooooooong way fair play to ya :shake:

The emphasis should be on FIRST, as in it doesn't matter which you set it to, but it could shave a few ms of boot times if it doesn't check for PCI cards first.

It also allows you to plug in a PCI and a PCI-E card at once, if you get video errors / problems you just pull out the PCI-E card and it will default to the PCI card.

Theres no real incorrect setting here, but just to be safe, set it to which ever format you are using.

Edit: I recently acquired a few old pcs from an auction (the reciept says $80 for one old monitor and two crappy computers). I now have 3 old matrox (i think i spelt it wrong) video cards of 1994 to 1998, a trident video card of 1992-1994, and a Fire GL 3000 PCI video card (all thrown around two rooms).