Board won't POST

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you talking about the 3 red leds at the bottom left hand side of the motherboard? because a couple days ago when i turn my computer on, all i get is a black screen, and i see 3 red leds at the bottom left hand side, noone would tell me what they were in a thread i made

If you made the effort to search you would have found the answer much more quickly, as it has been asked over and over and over and over and over......

Not to mention it is in this thread already.

Here is what each of the LEDs mean

System startup 4 led’s on, no CPU detected

CPU is detected 3 led’s on, memory not working

DRAM is detected 2 led’s on, VGA not working

VGA is detected 1 led on, unable to load OS

Search is your friend, and much quicker than relying on someone else to do it for you.

If you made the effort to search you would have found the answer much more quickly, as it has been asked over and over and over and over and over......

Not to mention it is in this thread already.

Here is what each of the LEDs mean

System startup 4 led’s on, no CPU detected

CPU is detected 3 led’s on, memory not working

DRAM is detected 2 led’s on, VGA not working

VGA is detected 1 led on, unable to load OS

Search is your friend, and much quicker than relying on someone else to do it for you.

I just said earlier in this thread that the LEDs do not mean that, or atleast they do not work that way.

I had 3 LEDs, not because I had a memory issue (3 sticks of 512mb VX cannot ALL be bad), but because my CPU wasn't making proper contact with its socket.

I had 2 LEDs when one of my RAM sticks died, not because it was a GPU error.

I had 1 LED when a BIOS flash and CMOS reset didn't work properly (hitting insert and esc fixed this problem).

It's more like this: (atleast for my board, and one of the other threads where some guy was getting 3 LEDs because his CPU had bent pins).

System startup 4 led’s on, (does something)

CPU is detected 3 led’s on, if halts on 3 then CPU is at fault

DRAM is detected 2 led’s on, if halts on 2 then RAM is at fault

VGA is detected 1 led on, if halts on 1 then VGA is at fault.

Mine is currently doing the same thing! I have my own thread going, but I am compelled to add my input to this thread.

After about 5 months of tinkering with settings I finally got my oc stable with memory, ran pi and occt, shutdown now it wont boot post nothing. The rig powers up and I have the 3 LED lights staring at me. I trying clearing CMOS as suggested by RGONE. I have cleared for a total of 6 times including removing all power and switching top slots with 1 memory stick only. Unlike you I am getting no where. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have jumped over to bleeding edge to see if those guys have any suggestion, but nothing so far.

Is this setting up to be a mobo issure or memory (based on diag led on mobo)?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, please post here or my thread:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...3706#post243706

Thanks

I have a suggestion, completely tear apart your computer (without damaging anything), re-apply Arctic Silver 5 / Ceramique on all components with heatsinks, maybe drill a few holes in your case so that you can route wires for better airflow and for decreased visability, rebuild your pc. (wipe the CMOS overnight using those extra special ways).

This is exactly what I did, and I was just about to send my motherboard off to America (I live in Australia, it would have cost quite a bit).

As I have already said, 3 LEDs seems to be a motherboard / CPU error instead of a memory error.

hi

3 leds.......2 pairs of vx 4000....dead

mushkin redline...3 leds...with one mem out it boots...another utt kit that died

3 leds is allmost for sure mem issues

i was fighting my new dfi for a couple of days until i saw that the mobo and the metal pins from the case were making contact.....i got 4 leds...cpu not detected..?

nope..

try the strip aproach.....outside de case...if u r not already

good luck

For added weirdness, after I had changed some settings with nTune (nothing serious) my PC froze up. Upon rebooting I was greeted with 4 LEDs. Clearing the CMOS for one hour using one of those special methods (emtpying capacitators and all that) and now I only get 3 LEDs.

Once more I am back to were I started, its quite definitely not a problem with my RAM (I have tried 3 different sticks of VX, two from one set and one from another, in multiple slots by themselves), its not a CPU contact problem (already checked the thermal paste + pins), its not a GPU error (checked with a PCI card), and now I'm just down right confused.

keep your distance from ntune

Don't worry, I found only one interesting setting in there, and since it froze my pc when I played with it I don't think I'm gonna be touching it again. Most of the values in there are wrong anyway, especially my CPU voltage.

Anyway, problem fixed. I turns out that my two sticks of VX have a partial cold boot issue OR they dislike running together on the same board if optimised defaults are loaded (voltage fixed it though).

I just said earlier in this thread that the LEDs do not mean that, or atleast they do not work that way.

I had 3 LEDs, not because I had a memory issue (3 sticks of 512mb VX cannot ALL be bad), but because my CPU wasn't making proper contact with its socket.

I had 2 LEDs when one of my RAM sticks died, not because it was a GPU error.

I had 1 LED when a BIOS flash and CMOS reset didn't work properly (hitting insert and esc fixed this problem).

It's more like this: (atleast for my board, and one of the other threads where some guy was getting 3 LEDs because his CPU had bent pins).

System startup 4 led’s on, (does something)

CPU is detected 3 led’s on, if halts on 3 then CPU is at fault

DRAM is detected 2 led’s on, if halts on 2 then RAM is at fault

VGA is detected 1 led on, if halts on 1 then VGA is at fault.

You can take that up with DFI then. What I listed was what DFI states is the meaning of the diagnostic LEDs. If YOU think they are wrong, please contact them and let them know.

You can take that up with DFI then. What I listed was what DFI states is the meaning of the diagnostic LEDs. If YOU think they are wrong, please contact them and let them know.

In the manual it says CPU detected, it does not say memory is at fault or CPU related stuff has completed.

Ok, I have done all of the above, including RMA'ing my memory, completey undoing and redoing all connections and switched out my psu to an OCZ 520 sli. At this point do I need to RMA my board or has anyone come up with any new suggestions?

DFI plz take a look at this and let me know what you think. Thanks

BUMP