Sign in to follow this  
Death909

Board won't POST

4 weeks ago, I had a problem with my SLI-DR where it would not POST. The diagnostic LEDS would get stuck on the very last LED (video card detected). Eventually, I just started mashing the esc, del and insert buttons, and for some reason it started up normally. Fearing that I had screwed up the BIOS, I re-flashed it to the newest BIOS. Upon restart (I cleared CMOS using angry's method) I was once more greeted with the very last diagnostic LED glaring at me. When I tried to mash the esc, del and insert buttons again but it didn't work.

The next morning, I tried the mashing of esc, del and insert and it booted up properly.

A week later I flashed to the 704-BT bios without any problems.

Two weeks later, after moving the computer from one room to another, I am greeted with 3 red diagnostic LEDS. I no longer see the DFI Lanparty logo, the monitor doesn't even give me a green light to tell me its getting a signal. I have tried using numerous other PCI video cards, I have tried a working 3000+ (out of another system, not mine though), and I have tried clearing the CMOS overnight with no power connected to the computer. The mashing of the esc / del / insert keys doesn't do anything other than wreck my keyboard, I have removed all non-essential components such as IDE / SATA drives, but all to no avail.

Is my board dead?

Guest thespin

Put a floppy in the drive and see if it tries to read it after post ... or a bootable floppy and see if it boots ...

It doesn't even get to POST, it halts on 3 diagnostic leds. The problem is with the board, not any attachments (I have disconnected everything else).

Who even has a floppy drive these days?

That is exactly what 3 LEDs mean.

Here is what each of the LEDs mean

System startup 4 led’s on, no CPU detected

CPU is detected 3 led’s on, memory not working

DRAM is detected 2 led’s on, VGA not working

VGA is detected 1 led on, unable to load OS

Your sig says one of your sticks of RAM died. Are you using different RAM or are you using the other half of a matched pair?

I have the exact problem, and have done what he has done....i removed battery overnight and re-set jumpers and tried one stick of other ram(geil) it posted and I finally got into bios..loaded opt all ok....ran a few minutes, so I decided to try my OCZ again...loaded 1 stick...booted just fine...ran a few minutes, and I decided to put other stick in...would not post...1 red led....I do get screen.removed the one stick..cleared bios and jumped....nothing...well just dfi screen and 1 led

Guest thespin

I seem to remember a warning to the effect that the power cord must be pulled out (or the switch on the PSU off if available) when pulling or installing memory sticks. I doubt many people are following this procedure but it can result in ruining the stick and/or ruining the slot itself. Anyone ?

That is exactly what 3 LEDs mean.

Here is what each of the LEDs mean

System startup 4 led’s on, no CPU detected

CPU is detected 3 led’s on, memory not working

DRAM is detected 2 led’s on, VGA not working

VGA is detected 1 led on, unable to load OS

Your sig says one of your sticks of RAM died. Are you using different RAM or are you using the other half of a matched pair?

I have managed to fix this problem, it turns out that my CPU wasn't making proper contact with the motherboard (by microns I think). The technition I took it to managed to mix two thermal pastes, which ended up with the heatsink sticking to the CPU with incredible force. Reseating the CPU with new thermal paste (they only had some cooler master rubbish, it doesn't even say the weight or contents on the package, not to mention the fact that instead of writing "density" they wrote "gravity").

(stupid technition wouldn't listen, I told him all I wanted was for him to check the mobo with a different CPU).

As for what the LEDS mean, from the problems I have had in the past and this most recent problem makes it something more like:

System startup 4 led’s on, (does something)

CPU is detected 3 led’s on, if halts on 3 then CPU is at fault

DRAM is detected 2 led’s on, if halts on 2 then RAM is at fault

VGA is detected 1 led on, if halts on 1 then VGA is at fault.

(I have had 2 LEDS when my RAM stick died, 1 when I had screwed up a BIOS flash or something, and 3 when my CPU wasn't making proper contact, so I am pretty sure this is the way it works).

As for my sig, OCZ replaced my RAM stick with two quite a while ago, so I think I'll go and update my sig.

Mine is currently doing the same thing! I have my own thread going, but I am compelled to add my input to this thread.

After about 5 months of tinkering with settings I finally got my oc stable with memory, ran pi and occt, shutdown now it wont boot post nothing. The rig powers up and I have the 3 LED lights staring at me. I trying clearing CMOS as suggested by RGONE. I have cleared for a total of 6 times including removing all power and switching top slots with 1 memory stick only. Unlike you I am getting no where. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have jumped over to bleeding edge to see if those guys have any suggestion, but nothing so far.

Is this setting up to be a mobo issure or memory (based on diag led on mobo)?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, please post here or my thread:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...3706#post243706

Thanks

are you talking about the 3 red leds at the bottom left hand side of the motherboard? because a couple days ago when i turn my computer on, all i get is a black screen, and i see 3 red leds at the bottom left hand side, noone would tell me what they were in a thread i made