when purchasing an OS i want OEM right?

Grunt_Style

It's really funny that you have to buy hardware to get an OEM license. The egg makes you buy a freakin' Y splitter for a power connector.

In the "old days" you had to buy a hard drive, motherboard or CPU to get an OEM license.

Just ordered an OEM of XP Pro from the egg with the splitter included. That makes about 20 of those splitters in my junk box now. lol

I actually had to use one the other day when configuring a new server for a customer that got wiped by the hurricane. Came in handy when the Dell POS she ordered didn't have enough power cables to populate the entire drive cage.

The only think I don't like about O.E.M. is Microsoft telling you, its only good for the computer you put it on, it won't go to the next build.....or major hardware change......retail allows you to do so, its yours to keep........for what ever computer you want to put it on (O.E.M. = Lease??)

As much as I change systems, and hardware......and many a calls to MicroSnot....just to reactivate my valid keys......because my system hardware has been thru a major change........or there silly os.......has blown a gasket.........(not like I'm hard on it...LOL)

Just my two cents.....

OEM and Retail have the same exact hardware change triggers built in.

The only difference is that Microsoft will not grant any technical support for the OEM version.

The Retail version gets 30 days or whatever free tech support via phone.

The only think I don't like about O.E.M. is Microsoft telling you, its only good for the computer you put it on, it won't go to the next build.....or major hardware change......retail allows you to do so, its yours to keep........for what ever computer you want to put it on (O.E.M. = Lease??)

As much as I change systems, and hardware......and many a calls to MicroSnot....just to reactivate my valid keys......because my system hardware has been thru a major change........or there silly os.......has blown a gasket.........(not like I'm hard on it...LOL)

Just my two cents.....

The only way to get round that is to buy the VLK versions and they will cost you a pretty penny let me tell you :D

So unless you are already using an "aquired" version you are still in the same boat regardless of being OEM or not...

really now..........so if I want to throw the xp64 oem disk on a different machine........no problem then eh? here i thought i was stuck with that one the one box only.......to never migrate to another machine (only one box at a time).......nice thing about forums....always learning.......... :) thanks ......