Dead AGP slot??

Hey all. I had some extra parts lying around and thought I'd get started on a HTPC. I had an unused LP NF2B lying around as well as an unused Barton 2500+ (locked). I've been adding components slowly over several months as funds free up. Well, my vidcard finally arrived (EVGA 6600GT) and I popped that into the new system with a fresh Hitachi SATA HDD and a stick of Ballistix RAM borrowed from my currently working rig. The board powers up, the drives and fans spin, the fan on the GPU spins and the LED indicators go until they stop at LED 4 being lit by itself (which I would assume is what it does when there's a blank HDD). Problem is I can't see any of this because I get absolutely ZERO video. I've tried 2 different VGA cables and one DVI cable which all work with my other system. It's not the vidcard as I threw that into my other LP NF2B and played the Serious Sam2 demo on it. I then threw in my 6800U OC from my main rig into the new system and the fan fired up but I still wouldn't get any video signal. Everything in the new rig is either brand new or tested and working in my other LPB system, except for the Barton chip.

I didn't find much on the forums about AGP slots crapping out on these boards so I was curious if anyone else had encountered this. Also, are there any other suggestions you might have? Angry and TMod have already steered me through a 4 LED of Death situation so I was hoping to get some help on this situation too. Thanks!

New system:

AMD Barton 2500+ (locked)

Hitachi Deskstar 160 GB SATA (No OS loaded)

Antec SLK case with Antec 350W SmartPower PSU

ThermalTake Silent Boost Heatsink and Fan

EVGA 6600GT

NEC 3540 RW DVD

1X512GB PC3200 Crucial Ballistix (borrowed from working system)

1X120mm Antec cooling fan mounted in rear.

Possibly sounding like a corrupt bios, i doubt its the AGP slot.

Have you tried a long cmos clear?

When you power up is all other activity normal such as the the HardDrive Access light lighting up and is the Power LED lit on your case?

I might be wrong but I'm not leaning towards the BIOS quite yet. I'm not getting 4 LEDs of death. Just the 4th one lit after it goes through its initial cycle. Remember this is a totally fresh system, no OS loaded yet. My guess is that the 4th LED stays lit when there's no OS on the HDD. Everything is getting power and spinning up on startup. The monitor just sits there with no signal. Does that add any info to the situation?

Hey Eggman,

This might be a long shot... You could try turning off/unplugging the PSU. Pull out the RAM sticks, pull the 100MHz/133MHz FSB jumper (near the NB and the CPU mosfets, if that board has one) and set the BIOS to clear for about 5 min. Then put the BIOS clear jumper back into it's normal position, put the RAM sticks back in, but leave the 100MHz/133MHz jumper out, then turn on/plug in the PSU power, wait 1/2 a minute and power on the system and see if you can get into the BIOS. If so, load optimized defaults and save, then power down and replace the 100MHz/133MHz FSB jumper and power/boot back up.

I might be wrong but I'm not leaning towards the BIOS quite yet. I'm not getting 4 LEDs of death. Just the 4th one lit after it goes through its initial cycle. Remember this is a totally fresh system, no OS loaded yet. My guess is that the 4th LED stays lit when there's no OS on the HDD. Everything is getting power and spinning up on startup. The monitor just sits there with no signal. Does that add any info to the situation?

Ah, i thought you said you was getting 4 LED's. So its stuck on the 4th LED, Early Program Chipset Register before Post, hmmm... I imagine that means its loading the chipset register settings(Programming the chipset registers) from the Bios before POST...

Try a long Cmos Clear(as in overnight) with the battery removed along with what medians just said. You could also try this:

Turn off the psu power, reset Cmos and reconnect. Now using the onboard switches, hold down the Reset Switch and hit the Power Up button while still holding the reset switch, hold it for a few seconds and then let go.

And as a bit of a long shot try another Cmos Battery...

To confirm whether it is the actual bios you could always try the bios chip from out of your other LPB.

Another thing I was thinking about, shortly after I posted previously... Have you already tried booting/posting without the SATA HDD connected at all? Heh, that probably ought to have been the first thing I should've asked.

Please let us know if you've had any results yet.

• 4 months later...

was this problem ever figured out? I have the exact same problem...

with a old crappy PCI card I get the No signal issue with my AGP 6800LE I get signal but only to the video card POST screen. I've already tried all suggestions in this thread... no luck so far.

EDIT: for me it was the old PC2100 trick... damn good thing I had a stick of PC2100 lying around...